Rednecked Ugly Drum Smoker

Cool air sinks

Nice drum smoker ya got there. I gotta couple questions. 1st:Does that thing got Hemi in it?
Does that intake draw air well? I guess it doesn't matter that it's that high up? I like the magnets, good idea.
That is not my patented lid hook design. ( :

Cool air sinks, warm air rises so when the fire is lit
it tends to draw fresh air down thru the intake rather well...

Man I gotta finish mine up...YOUR KILLIN ME!! Might have to start a new category...Monsta Drum Smoker....or even better Sexy Drum Smoker. We are totally gettin away from Ugly for sure. 8)

Does the size of the drum have a big effect on how it cooks? I've been looking around on-line for a drum to use and I was thinking bigger might be better just to get more capicity but I wasn't sure how size would change things. Your design looks really good, I like the intake pipe. Nice touch.

Yeah...somehow two of those 86 gal jobs followed me home from work...

They were too big for the Hazmat dudes to take and they were still brand new with nuttin in em.... JACKPOT

Just startin to collect all my stuff to put it together. Talked to Mista and I think I'm gonna experiment with powering this thing with a modded little Weber in the bottom.

Wife isnt too pleased...

Heat Transfer

Does the size of the drum have a big effect on how it cooks? I've been looking around on-line for a drum to use and I was thinking bigger might be better just to get more capicity but I wasn't sure how size would change things. Your design looks really good, I like the intake pipe. Nice touch.
I think, but I'm no physicist, that within the confines of the drum itself,
convection heat transfer is the indirect cause of effect wherein our foodstuff
cooks....Fire is hot and food is cold and a balance or transfer of temperature occurs and the result is food cooks. As with any size enclosed area there must be an adequate heat source to maintain temps....and heat said chamber...

I think, but I'm no physicist, that within the confines of the drum itself,
convection heat transfer is the indirect cause of effect wherein our foodstuff
cooks....Fire is hot and food is cold and a balance or transfer of temperature occurs and the result is food cooks. As with any size enclosed area there must be an adequate heat source to maintain temps....and heat said chamber...

So then, bigger is ok as long as you have a bigger fire? As long as the fire doesn't get so big that you're now grilling?

Fire Hot

Sorry, all I meant was I think that as long as the drum is not, say the size of a tanker, the fire under the food being of proportional size to the area of drum, which in our ugly drums is roughly contained in a basket half the diameter of the drum, and the distance from flame to food constant 24 or so inches, the cooking processes should be the same...Yeah after I wrote it, I had to read it two or three times myself!!!!:confused:

Thats a wicked drum N8. I got the burn out completed, and the intake holes drilled this past weekend on my first drum. Just going to do the basic UDS. But, on my next one I may kick it up a notch.

UDS Rules!!!

Thats a wicked drum N8. I got the burn out completed, and the intake holes drilled this past weekend on my first drum. Just going to do the basic UDS. But, on my next one I may kick it up a notch.
Be sure to post pix of your build and the food it cooks.....Every one built is and should be unique to the builder!!!
I gained a lot of insight to my build in these posts and the Brethren!! By the way, did I mention how much I like my drum? Woooohoooo!!!!

A fire ring 13" wide is about right for a 22" wide barrel. You should probably build the fire ring proportionate to the width of the barrel. Just my 2 cents.
and I should tell you, I really like my drum smokers also.

Build Pix

Thought ya'll might like to see the build
build_wood1.jpgbuild_fire1.jpgbuild_brlsmoke1.jpg
build_brllid1.jpgbuild_brlfire1.jpg
Once it was wired brushed and shot with paint I laid out the hole placement
build_layout1.jpgbuild_level1.jpgbuild_string1.jpg
After I holesawed and drilled holes with a stepbit I went on to the basket
build_baskmeasr1.jpgbuild_baskbend1.jpgbuild_baskassmbly1.jpg
Barrel Complete!!!
build_brlcmplt1.jpg

Questions

N8, that's one fine lookin' rig ya got there buddy.

- Did that drum come with a sealed lid rather than removable? If so, how'd you get it off and get the edge of the lid so nice?

- What's with all the geometry on the lid? Doesn't look like you drilled any holes in the lid...

I really like your magnetic vent damper. Pretty savvy piece of engineering.

I was assuming you guys were doing some kind of a burn to get rid of the factory paint....how long does that take? Did you consider a weed burner?

Back