First go at bratwurst

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So the weekend before last, I decided to give a go with some home-made bratwurst. I began with right 3.5 lbs of pork shoulder. I de-boned cubed and through into the freezer. After about 20min I began grinding. I only ground everything once and I used the 1/4" plate I believe. I then seasoned and got ready to stuff. I heard all the complaints about the kitchen aide attachment but that's all I had and figured I'm not doing that much so let's try it. I had a hella time. Not sure if the casing wasn't wet enough, but it didn't want to come off the sausage tube very well. The casings kept wanting to inflate, I think due to the air every time I tried to add more sausage. I was impressed with how relatively strong the casings were. I didn't have a sausage pricker so I used a sterilized needle. The flavoring and texture I didn't think were bad. After the sausage had been stuffed, does everyone rinse them before storage? What's the best way to store them without a vacuum sealer? I would definitely try it again but with a different stuffer that's for sure. All advice is welcome. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
They look good!
I've never used a kitchen aid. My first sausages were stuffed with the stuffer attachment on a hand grinder. After that, I bought a dedicated stuffer.

Money well spend, if you want to make more sausages.

You're complaining about inflating casings? Did you tie a knot in the casing before the meat was coming out of the stuffer?
It's what I did the first time. Now, I just keep it open, let the air come out and have a big enough piece hanging of the stuffer so when the meat comes out, I hold the casing closed with my hand and knot later. Hope this makes sense?

Those look very good, now how was the taste and texture (mouth feel)?
If I don't feel like pulling out the vacuum sucker I just wrap up 4 tightly in stretch wrap then put in a zip lock bag. This will keep it frost free way past it's time to make more.
Ed

Well done! Would have never guessed from the grill pics that those were homemade!

bump. I need to ask again, only because i'm kinda afraid of sausage and the thought of making someone sick...

Just to confirm, I can freeze them raw in plastic wrap and a Ziploc without needing to do anything else? How long will they keep raw in the fridge and frozen? Thanks in advance.

Awesome looking brats!

Your answer is #5 in the article you linked...

Nice looking Brats. I like the KitchenAid grinder, it does a pretty good job and clean up isn't all that bad since it is all dishwasher safe. Never tried the stuffer though. All of the sausage and ground meat we make is loose, not in casings.

Having used a real dedicated stuffer before, that looks to be a pain in the butt on the kitchenAid.

That’s an outstanding first go!! The best part about it, like everything else bbq related is that you only improve!! I picked up the LEM 5lb stuffer for pretty cheap, maybe $130 and it worked great!!!

Looks great. Yeah pick up the LEM 5 lb stuffer. I still use the KA grinder for 5 lb batches or so. But the stuffer makes life much easier.

Those look very nice. I have a 5-lb hand-crank stuffer from Cabela’s that works really well. Also one of their commercial-grade grinders, makes short work of a pile of protein.

I don’t rinse mine after stuffing, and I vacuum seal for freezing.

Back