Stuffed Whole Hog

leosmith78

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Brethren,

I'm doing a 40lb hog soon. I'm cooking it like I've had it in the Philippines. They stuff the cavity with lemongrass. It keeps the loins and ribbies from drying out. I just moved to GA and I'm not sure I can get lemongrass in my immediate area. Does anybody have any ideas as to what else I could use if I can't find lemongrass? First thought is use foil, but that doesn't impart much flavor.

TIA

I don't know the answer but I'm interested in your results

I would do a google search for Asian markets, Or even places like whole foods, or sprouts will probably have the lemon grass. Kaffir lime leaves is the typical substitute, but if you can't find lemon grass, probably won't find them either. I would say just halved lemons would be your best bet.

I have seen lemongrass around but that’s a lot of grass!

I would do a google search for Asian markets, Or even places like whole foods, or sprouts will probably have the lemon grass. Kaffir lime leaves is the typical substitute, but if you can't find lemon grass, probably won't find them either. I would say just halved lemons would be your best bet.

Yeah, we have a few small Asian markets here and we intend to visit them tomorrow and see if they have or can get the lemongrass. Lemons...good idea. I may have to give it a try...I'll keep yinz posted.

Ya definitely check those asian markets. We have a bunch around us in gwinnett and love shopping produce there as they selection is amazing and prices are better than regular grocery stores.

And while this is completely opposite of lemon grass I know people will stuff sausage in the cavity to keep things moist and you can eat that sausage too later.

Probably too late now, but it never hurts to talk with the produce manager at your local favorite store and request a special order.

Probably too late now, but it never hurts to talk with the produce manager at your local favorite store and request a special order.

That's a great idea! I have some time...I don't plan on doing this until the 12th so maybe I'll be able to special order some.

Thanks!

While I think it's cool to replicate what you have experienced in the Philippines, and I do believe you should go ahead and use the technique, I do not believe that lemongrass helps keep their hogs moist. Cooking it properly will keep it from drying out. Having been around ALOT of whole hogs in my life, I can attest that moisture is a product of the cook. In Filipino cooking, the lemongrass is for imparting a fragrance in their lechon.

Garlic paste olive oil bruised spring onions and lemongrass
If like here lemongrass is expensive i would add more spring onion.
The pork served by my stepmother has no stuffing but they are small

Out of interest i grew lemon grass in my hot house, took 2 years to dig ig out,what a weed.

While I think it's cool to replicate what you have experienced in the Philippines, and I do believe you should go ahead and use the technique, I do not believe that lemongrass helps keep their hogs moist. Cooking it properly will keep it from drying out. Having been around ALOT of whole hogs in my life, I can attest that moisture is a product of the cook. In Filipino cooking, the lemongrass is for imparting a fragrance in their lechon.

I've cooked many whole hogs too, but mostly butterflied and it is mostly the product of the cook. I've also been to many pig roasts in the Philippines as my wife is a Filipina. Yes, the lemon grass imparts fragrance but it acts as a barrier to the heat because they roast the hog on a spit close to the coals. In my case, I will smoke the pig at 250 degrees. I will say that my wanting the lemongrass is mostly to replicate the flavor notes to a certain extent, but it can't hurt in helping to retain some moisture.

Back