Bbq sauce recipe

barry w

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I make my own bbq sauce. Everyone wants my recipe, should I Give up the recipe or keep it for myself as my secret? You all are very generous here on the bretheren with your recipes and bbq help. Got me thinking I might be a little selfish.

I know of a guy who made great BBQ and was steadfast about not sharing recipes. He found out he had cancer and passed away within the span of a few months and his recipes died with him. If he had passed those on, we would all think of him every time we made them.

I have come to understand, if you give 6 people the exact same ingredients, and the same recipe to follow, you will wind up with 6 different sauces. Add to that different cuts of meant, different methods of cooking, different fuel sources, different seasoning along with different amounts of each, you will have 6 different versions of your bbq. Only your bbq hits the spot for you and them, even if they get it real close it wont likely be the same, so give it up you are safe. When you give out your recipe you must make them pinky swear not to ever divulge the secret Now tell me what your recipe is?:rolleyes:
Dave

So many great recipes die with the source..... I give out all my secrets..... So I have no secrets..... Lol

Honestly it's totally up to you. What do you benefit from keeping it a secret unless you are going to sell it? Beyond that there is really only ego for the most part. And even that, if you share it people will continue to thank you and appreciate it. Sometimes making things public allows for others to improve upon what you already developed and it pushes the BBQ world forward. We're all in someway standing on the shoulder of giants.

I keep a BBQ log of my BBQ cooks. It is written with the intent of passing it on. My son says don't give it away, save it for him.

I keep a BBQ log of my BBQ cooks. It is written with the intent of passing it on. My son says don't give it away, save it for him.

That's good enough reason to just keep it a secret. Maybe it makes another pitmaster out of him.

I was going to definitely say give it out until I read your son's request. Personally, I still think I would I give out it though. I personally take pleasure out of other people making a good sauce or rub because I gave them a recipe. to each their own though. Nothing wrong with having something for you and your son.

If you really feel it's a trade secret. Still, there are certain base template that you could share without giving away 100%. I made all my sauce based on amazingribs.com, adding a few things here and there to my liking, and while I don't share my customization, I still send everyone to amazingribs. They can mix and match and make their own.

To me, it's like a fishing spot. Share the wealth! If someone goes to a fishing hole i told them about, and outfishes me, more power to them, just means i need to work harder. I couldn't care less if someone wants to try and reproduce a sauce i came up with, it just means it's a good sauce!

I make my own bbq sauce. Everyone wants my recipe, should I Give up the recipe or keep it for myself as my secret? You all are very generous here on the bretheren with your recipes and bbq help. Got me thinking I might be a little selfish.
My only question is, where did you get your information from? I know that everything I cook is based on what I learned from others. I have a few rubs I use that I came up with on my own, to find out that others use very similar combinations.

I have always shared what ever I know, just as others have shared with me. No reasons for secrets here. That's why we are on this forum. BRETHREN'S!

No reason to keep it a secret, unless you're a top competitor, or plan to bottle it. We are all here to learn from one another, if we all kept our best tips/tricks/methods a secret, this community would be useless.

Thanks all for your comments, I will have to ponder this one some more. Agree with sharing as I would not be an ok bbq cook without a lot of others sharing. You all are awesomely unselfish here on the breterenl, I will seriously consider each and every suggestion. Thanks, Barry

Back