Other woods...Beech and White Birch

Wi-Doe-Maker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to my Maple question...I also have a large supply of Beech Nut and White Birch...anyone have experience with these??....You can make a sweet syrup from the sap of the Birch..would it be similar to maple???..thanks for the help...Wi-Doe

I use paper birch once a year on chicken or turkey.

very light

(once a year because I trim my tree in the fall, then use the chunks once they dry out, usually on Thanksgiving or there abouts)

Wi-Doe - A while back there was a Canadian lump charcoal called Maple Leaf. It was made with only birch, beech, and maple. It was the best smelling lump I have ever used.
I use birch frequently, and will have a huge supply of it soon. It has a wonderful aroma when it burns, very light and fragrant. I do not have beech, but I would not hesitate to use it either.

Wood

Thanks for the help and the link....I'll check it out right away..there is one more wood that intrigues me and that is Grape Vine Wood..I have loads of large wild grapes on my land and I could easily cut it chunk it and dry it..have any of you tried this?????,,,Wi-Doe

Grape has been kicked around here a couple of times and, as I remember, it's a good one. Try a forum search and see whatcha get.

Wi-Doe-Maker said:
Thanks for the help and the link....I'll check it out right away..there is one more wood that intrigues me and that is Grape Vine Wood..I have loads of large wild grapes on my land and I could easily cut it chunk it and dry it..have any of you tried this?????,,,Wi-Doe

I agree with Arlin - I think we have talked about grapewood/vine.... I have used Vinewood myself, and it works great. I think I had the best success on chicken, and didn't try it on Brisket.... but was fine on pork also....

Bommarito vineyards gave me an Onion sack full of small pieces to try out... and I liked it.

I have tons of wild grapevines growing around here as well as beechnut...not much in the way of birch. Anyone have any thoughts on locust or mimosa?

Locust makes good fenceposts.
Good fenceposts make good fences.
Good fences makes good neighbors.
Good BBQ makes you a good neighbor.
But I can't see how locust can make good BBQ

Back