What type of tree??

Rick99

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for the dumb question but any idea of what type of tree I have here? I think it's a maple but not sure. The recent storms knocked a boat load of tree branches down and I was hoping I could smoke with the wood in my offset. Any help would be great and thanks. Not the best pictures but all I have for now.image.jpg

Best I could find from a dead pike the leaves on the branches are real small and can't reach them so I had to use this dead one.image.jpg

You sure that leaf is from that spindly tree? If so, red oak is my best guess. Still need to dry the wood out.

Almost looks like a maple. Silver maple maybe. The leaf you are holding is an oak, but the pics of the tree look like maple.

I think the leaf you are holding is a Red Oak or Pin Oak leaf. The tree looks to be a Silver Maple, which is a softer wood than Norway or Sugar maple, but might be fine to cook with. A very mild smoke though and not a lot of BTU's.

Alright thanks everyone so It looks like I have a maple for the smaller tree and the fatter one is a red oak? Thanks for all your help!

Alright thanks everyone so It looks like I have a maple for the smaller tree and the fatter one is a red oak? Thanks for all your help!

Looks to me that you have two silver maples, no oak tree, just a random leaf. The first pictures of leaves that you posted are silver maple leaves. Oak trees are the last trees to leaf out in the spring, maples are among the first, especially red and silver maples.

The trees with the live leaves on them are Maple without a question. I concur with the guess that they are probably silver maple because of the sharp forks. The leave you held in your hand did not come from the tree in the picture, it is an oak.

Back