I'm always looking for a tasty side dish to serve with Q

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to spend the day cooking side dishes, but I do want something tasty. I was given this recipe and I tried it Monday along with a smoked chicken. I think you'll find it as delicious as I did.

Potato Gratin

Ingredients

· 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
· 1 large garlic clove, peeled, pressed
· 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds on a mandolin
· 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
· 1/4 cup whole milk
· 1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyère cheese (or Emmentaler)

Preparation

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Generously butter a 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Place pie dish on rimmed baking sheet. Combine cream and garlic in small saucepan and bring to simmer over low heat. Cover and remove from heat.

Arrange 1/3 of potato rounds, slightly overlapping, in concentric circles in prepared pie dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour 1/4 cup garlic cream over. Repeat layering 2 more times with remaining potatoes, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic cream. Pour remaining garlic cream over, then 1/4 cup milk. Sprinkle cheese over top.

Bake gratin until golden on top and potatoes are very tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Let potato gratin rest 10 minutes before serving.

App Buffalo chicken dip.
1 lbs poached chicken shreaded.
1 lbs cream cheese
16 oz sour cream
Franks red hot to likeing
1 lbs cheddar cheese

Okie, what kind of cheese is that? Iowa is pretty plain. We got white and yellow. I miss Chicago sometimes.

Okie, what kind of cheese is that? Iowa is pretty plain. We got white and yellow. I miss Chicago sometimes.

Har! Even cheddar would work for this, but it is worth a drive to the big city to stock up on supplies. Haul your butt down to Davenport and load up! :wink:

Back