The ongoining "Kobe and Waygu" threads are getting a bit tiresome.

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
To me, enough is enough.
The article that ignited this firestorm was from a writer for Forbes who has made no claim that I can find that he has actually eaten Kobe or Waygu beef.
May have missed it, but I think not.
His bitch was about labeling and marketing, nothing more, nothing less.
His last post that I can find is:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol...wagyu-beef-final-thoughts-and-clarifications/

I freely admit there are labeling and nomenclature problems--those exist in a lot of industries.
I freely admit that some of the outragous pricing needs to be looked at.

But, I have been cooking Australian Waygu briskets for the last couple of years and I can tell ya, from actually doing it, that the Waygu is well above any domestic "prime" I have ever cooked.
Period---day in--day out!

I buy Australian Waygu for $5.45/lb (with no shipping or tax) and my price for CAB Prime is at (or over) $3.00/lb

Unlike the writer who started this, I have been there and cooked/eaten Waygu and I willl never go back for the "critical" uses like comps.

This is an "academic" discussion that has grown way beyond it's worth.

As to quality, if someone has not done it, it is all theory and of little use to me. :mad2:

Just my thoughts.
Do with it what you want.

TIM

Last edited:
What could be better than talking about beef? :icon_shy

Gonna go hide behind the brick wall now cuz the sofa isn't big enough to withstand the power about to be unleashed!

Understand completely.

Hell, all I asked was where to buy it. And nobody wants to answer that one hehe.

Your question did not spark my answer.
It was the ongoing asault by folks who failed to read and analyse the backgound data.

Johnson Brothers in Panama City is my supplier.
If push comes to shove, we can work something out :-D

TIM

facepalm.jpg

It is definitely just an "academic" discussion about marketing. But it doesn't mean it isn't an important one.

I think it really highlights that people should look into what they are actually buying more than they might. The point of the article seems to be that despite the fact that beef is called "waygu" or "kobe", it may not mean much. But I'm glad that you found some wagyu beef that you like. That is all that matters. :grin:

Kobe and Waygu are over rated period.

Unlike the Kapn, I have actually eaten real Kobe beef. I cooked in 3 different restauarants in Tokyo. It is unlike any beef you will eat anywhere in the world. It is like eating beef flavored butter. It is definately not over rated.

But to the real subject at hand, Waygu (whatever type) is the best beef available in this country. A lot depends on where you get it. Places like SNR & Strube are very reputable, while others are very unscrupulous.

Unlike the Kapn, I have actually eaten real Kobe beef. I cooked in 3 different restauarants in Tokyo. It is unlike any beef you will eat anywhere in the world. It is like eating beef flavored butter. It is definately not over rated.

But to the real subject at hand, Waygu (whatever type) is the best beef available in this country. A lot depends on where you get it. Places like SNR & Strube are very reputable, while others are very unscrupulous.

:clap2:

It is definitely just an "academic" discussion about marketing. But it doesn't mean it isn't an important one.

I think it really highlights that people should look into what they are actually buying more than they might. The point of the article seems to be that despite the fact that beef is called "waygu" or "kobe", it may not mean much. But I'm glad that you found some wagyu beef that you like. That is all that matters. :grin:

They could call it "The Bottom Of Your Shoe Bubble Gum Beef" for all I care...I'd still gladly buy it over prime grade!!!

It doesn't matter to me either way. Where I live there is only select. No Kobe or Wagyu, or Wa Gyu or wag-anything. I can't even get a choice brisket.

I'm with Wvsmoke, I'm not importing beef from another continent, or even across this continent. Anyone can cook a wagyu and make it tasty, but it takes a good cook to take a piece of select, no name brisket and turn it into something delicious. After all, isn't that what barbecue is really about? Support your local producers!

I'm with Wvsmoke, I'm not importing beef from another continent, or even across this continent. Anyone can cook a wagyu and make it tasty, but it takes a good cook to take a piece of select, no name brisket and turn it into something delicious. After all, isn't that what barbecue is really about? Support your local producers!

Isn't freedom about being able to make the choice of what you want to buy if it's legal? And I've cooked my share of select briskets and have had mixed results. Some are great, and others...not so much. Not a risk I'm willing to take when it really matters like at a contest or the occasional catering gig.

Don't get me wrong, I buy most of my meat from my local butcher. However, Wagyu is a nice treat every once in a while. Kind of like real "prime" rib for Christmas dinner, or a ham from the Berkshire breed for Easter dinner. Not some thing I do often, but some thing I like to eat once or twice a year.

I'm not sure what team Waygu plays for but you'll have to put up with Kobe through out the playoffs....

As expected, this thread has gone exactly where I expected it to.

That is the nature of the WWW and folks without first hand experience who do not actually read or research a topic.

The WWW "is what it is".

TIM

Back