Maintaining temp in Lang 60

bustem55

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just bought a used lang 60 over the weekend. Up until now I have been cooking on a small bullet smoker. I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to maintain the temp without clear cutting a local Forest.

I thank you in advance for anticipated responses.

Thanks

Thanks very much for the links. I wil check them out and see whats there:-D

What's wrong with clear-cutting? :heh:

Seriously - I have a Lang 48. I am not quite sure what you are asking. You bought a stick-burner - you're gonna have to burn some wood!

I use split oak. I start my fire with some charcoal and about 5 splits. After that, I probably add a new split about every 45 minutes (I'm guesstimating - I have not actually timed it.) So, for an 8 hour smoke, I think I use about 15 pieces.

I let it get pretty hot at first (300-400), then shut the fire-box door. I put the meat on, spin the dampers to almost closed, and prop the smoker door open until the temp drops to about 250. I have to fiddle around with the smoker door and/or dampers for about 10 minutes until the temp gets steady. (I have not yet even used the damper in the smokestack. I just use the ones on the firebox.) Once the whole thing gets hot, it is pretty easy to keep the temp steady. I am always amazed at just how sensitive the fire is to those dampers.

I bought a stick-burner because I enjoy sitting outside and tending the fire. But, it's not like you have to watch it every minute.

Good luck and enjoy! I am really happy with my Lang.

I usually don't have any issues with controlling the temps. I try to keep a fairly small fire, and only need one vent open about 3/4 to maintain 225*. I also use oak for the heat as it makes really nice coal beds, and then use other woods for flavor. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

The biggest help for us was just putting a moving (or wool) blanket on the cooking chamber.

I normally use wood for flavor and not heat so I start up a bunch of lump to bring her up to temp and then add 2 to 3 sticks. When the temps drop, I add some more lump and another stick.

I leave the top vent all the way open and end up with one of my fire box vents open about 1/2". We usually go about 2 hours between feeding.

Back