Pulled Pork ideas

Bartkowiakj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My wife went to the store yesterday and picked up a 8# boneless pork shoulder---I would have preferred the bone in. When I told her I wanted to put it on the Weber she said "No way you will burn it" I was going to use the slow cooker. As it stands now I will use the Weber, inject the shoulder with some apple juice, rub it with some garlic, salt and pepper and add a little apple wood to smoke. I plan on placing it in aluminum pan to save the juices for later and cooking at 250 - 275 and pulling it off at about 195.
Any other ideas on what I should be doing?:idea:

If you like bark, use something to hold it up from the bottom of the pan so that it doesn't sit in the juices while it cooks.

I don't like using the pan either. Makes the bottom wet. Ruins the rub at that spot.

You could slice acrossed the grain in 1# thick steaks. They sell them in the store as Country Style Ribs. Smoke them at 250 degrees for about 4 hours. Awesome eats!
We do them a couple times a month.
If you do the entire shoulder they make awesome pulled pork sandwiches.

Go to the main page of this forum, go clear to the bottom. You will see a Google Box. It only applies to this forum.

You could slice acrossed the grain in 1# thick steaks. They sell them in the store as Country Style Ribs.

In St Louis it's called a pork steak, about 3/4" thick and will grill them on the weber. They sell them here year around.

Take it easy on your wife :p She dun good. Boneless shoulders cook faster than the bone in, and more evenly IMO. Water/drip pan with apple juice and keep it out of any container

You might already be doing this, but put the coals one one side and the meat with a pan under it under the grate. Separate the side with coals from the drip pan with a couple of bricks turned on edge. Use the Miniom method to light the coals. Distribute several chunks of hardwood amongst the charcoal before you light the top.

This will give you indirect heat which is perfect for smoking butts

Make a little vinegar-and-pepper based sauce. Use it very sparingly. I never thought I'd care for it, and now it's my go-to finisher for pulled pork.

just dont burn it! haha jk. sounds good to me. maybe add some cinnamin to the rub

1. i would suggest not using pan, put pan under it on grate below to catch drippings if you want to save.
2. I usually start checking for doneness at about 190 it is usually about 200 even when it feels tender enough.
3. I would coat in mustard and cove with a nice rub

As far as final product there is lots of things you can do with pulled pork, my to favorites is to do sandwiches no sauce just to with patio dadios sweet and tangy slaw. two i use leftovers and throw in pan add some taco seasoning and make pulled pork tacos. My next try with leftovers is going to be to make some pulled pork grilled cheese sandwiches.

Last edited:
Back