First time cook on UDS

hmacmill

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello, I finally built a UDS and tried wings on it this weekend. I used the minion method with Stubb's charcoal briquettes. The wings had a funny taste to them, almost like lighter fluid. BTW, I did not use lighter fluid to start the briquettes. Does anyone else use Stubb's and get a funny taste? The next day I used lump and had no problems.

could it be that youre not used to the intense smoke flavor the UDS brings?

I dont think so. I have a brisk vertical smoker and have no problem with that one. Also, I tried the UDS the next day with lump and the flavor was great.

I have not experienced any issues with Stubbs. Did you put them on while there was still heavy white smoke coming out?

I have not experienced any issues with Stubbs. Did you put them on while there was still heavy white smoke coming out?
^^^ +1 ^^^

If you put food over white smoke, you'll get that bitter, "lighter fluid" taste sometimes - especially poultry or pork which take smoke flavors very quickly and easily.

I've never had issues with Stubbs either.

about how long does it take for the white smoke to go away? I probably put it on too earl, I just waited for it to get to temp.

It's been my experience that my drum temps stabilze after about 30 minutes. That should be long enough to get rid of the thick white stuff. If not, give it another 15-20 minutes. If you don't have sweet blue after that, there is some other issue going on with your fire or fuel.

Well it wasn't the stubbs! Having tried them all, Stubbs is my fuel of choice! Their consistancy of quality has been unriveled by any other brand.

I usually let my DrumPit go another 30 to 45 minutes after it reaches target temp
to help assure that it's cooking with nothing but the Sweet Blue...

I'm a bit biased since I'm living in the same city that Stubb's BBQ was born.

But... Stubbs has never given me an issue unless I accidentally dumped water on the coals. Yep, water on coals will create lots of nasty white smoke.

Back