Question for the GF people

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How do you add wood? I’ve heard I’m the ash pan under the charcoal grate, but seems like it would just smolder. Do you mix with the charcoal?

I do both.
Mix with charcoal and ash pan... not what D&D suggested.
It doesn't smolder too long in the ash pan. Lights quickly and burns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I put at piece of expanded metal on top of the ash pan and set the chunks on that. I put in three or four chunks when the meat went in, and for longer cooks, added more a couple of hours later.

I put at piece of expanded metal on top of the ash pan and set the chunks on that. I put in three or four chunks when the meat went in, and for longer cooks, added more a couple of hours later.
That's just genius!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does the wood in the ash pan actually catch fire?

when i had my Stumps JR i put a couple fist size chunks in the ash pan and hit the grate above to get a bunch of charcoal embers to land on the wood . it would smolder for a few minutes but will always ignite and burn clean .

Seems like adding wood chunks in the chute would be the way to go, no?

How do you add wood?
I grab my Poker with one hand and open the back door with the other. I'll slide it in and move it around a bit. If I see smoke smoldering from my wood, I'll definitely slow down and may even have a swig of beer or two. Once in good rhythm, I'll keep adding more wood every 45 minutes so she peaks at the right point. She will eventually want to be shut down before your meat becomes too tender. Otherwise, you may encounter my dilemma and simply run out of wood. Hope I was some help. :pound:

I put it in the side door. I make sure I get the smoker good and hot, then add the meat. Once it gets up to temp (a couple minutes), I put the smoke wood in the ash pan on the side. I wait until it gets up to temp because I have a Flame Boss blower on the vent and I don't want it blowing 100% on the wood and have it burn out in the matter of seconds. I'd rather the smoke wood be hit with little puffs of smoke.

I have not added chunks in the charcoal chute, and I don't think I'd be a fan of that. Not as much control.

I grab my Poker with one hand and open the back door with the other. I'll slide it in and move it around a bit. If I see smoke smoldering from my wood, I'll definitely slow down and may even have a swig of beer or two. Once in good rhythm, I'll keep adding more wood every 45 minutes so she peaks at the right point. She will eventually want to be shut down before your meat becomes too tender. Otherwise, you may encounter my dilemma and simply run out of wood. Hope I was some help. :pound:

It's like you read my mind! :becky:

On my GF, I start it much earlier than I really need to so that I can get a bed of embers in the ash pan. Once I put the meat on, I add a small chunk to the ash pan. Once the thin blue dies, I add another, etc. Cooking a brisket at 250 I'll probably use 4 or 5 tops for the entire cook.

Back