2 Chuckies & Beef Round Tip Roast Getting Corned for Pastrami

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Here's another thread of corning up some meat. Working on stocking up the freezer so I always have some type of corned meat on hand for smoking up :clap2:. Took 4 butts out of the brine today and will be shifting in the beef today.

I've corned chuckies before and they make better pastrami for me than brisket (though brisket is still great) and are my new "go to". I haven't cooked a beef round in quite some time let along corning one :loco:. So we'll see what kind of pastrami it makes. Corn it and them smoke still to a medium-rare type temp and see what happens I guess :twitch:.

Here's the butt stuff :icon_blush: that finished today. Sealed up 3 for the freezer and left one in the fridge to possibly cook tomorrow. If not I'll seal it up too.
tCXlFTql.jpg

vA88ioMl.jpg

1cbI2cjl.jpg

6sVPqMKl.jpg

Kid picked up the roast. Wasn't going to get it but he flailed his arms in its general direction so I saw the roast and said why not?? It's almost 12 lbs so I will probably half it and toss it in
xCGZROHl.jpg

Chuckies about 6lbs total
632uR9dl.jpg

xAHToEUl.jpg

New brine made up
kJuXUdrl.jpg

Sounds tasty.
I'd like to try something like that. Same brine for pork & beef?
Care to share a recipe?
Thanks.

Sounds tasty.
I'd like to try something like that. Same brine for pork & beef?
Care to share a recipe?
Thanks.

I use this and tweak it a little here and there
2C Sugar
3C Salt
3T Fennel
1T Allspice Berries
3T Garlic
1T Peppercorns
3T Sage
6 Bay Leaves
3T Celery Seed
3T Crushed Pepper
3 Gallon Water
3T Pink (Cure #1)

I am looking forward to file on this. Your little human has good taste

I'm really excited to see how the roast turns out. Even when smoked to medium rare a normal roast can be a little bland at times, which is why they make for good sandwiches with some sauce or other stuff. So maybe the corning will give it a new dynamic.

Should cook one next weekend when they are ready :clap2:

You should enjoy the pastramied round roast, the amount of fat is more subtle than in a corned brisket, but looking at this pastramied and chilled round you can still make out the veins. The good thing is even though a round roast is thicker than a brisket, my finishing times (pressure finish) are about the same because they are a little more tender to start with.

qHaPoUc.jpg

You should enjoy the pastramied round roast, the amount of fat is more subtle than in a corned brisket, but looking at this pastramied and chilled round you can still make out the veins. The good thing is even though a round roast is thicker than a brisket, my finishing times (pressure finish) are about the same because they are a little more tender to start with.

qHaPoUc.jpg

Thanks. So you still took this past a "Medium Rare" temp which is where a non corned version would typically be eaten at so it isn't dry and overdone? Maybe I'll give both temps a try for fun.

Thanks. So you still took this past a "Medium Rare" temp which is where a non corned version would typically be eaten at so it isn't dry and overdone? Maybe I'll give both temps a try for fun.

Oh yes. It was on the smoker until in the 150°'s, but I do a pressure finish. Because it's so much thicker than a corned brisket flat I'm guessing it did not get to as high of a temp when processing.... but I bet it saw 180°, where as a flat like this one saw 190° plus.

CRL4IiI.jpg

That said, I think that's a good experiment... trying different finish temps with the round. With a brisket, finishing is for tenderness, but a round is more tender to start with, and frankly I bet most most of the producers of corned beef use USDA select. Since you will have no shortage of pastrami, try a Reuben pizza with a white sauce, garlic and mustard as a topper.

sfjWCXW.jpg

Oh yes. It was on the smoker until in the 150°'s, but I do a pressure finish. Because it's so much thicker than a corned brisket flat I'm guessing it did not get to as high of a temp when processing.... but I bet it saw 180°, where as a flat like this one saw 190° plus.

CRL4IiI.jpg

That said, I think that's a good experiment... trying different finish temps with the round. With a brisket, finishing is for tenderness, but a round is more tender to start with, and frankly I bet most most of the producers of corned beef use USDA select. Since you will have no shortage of pastrami, try a Reuben pizza with a white sauce, garlic and mustard as a topper.

sfjWCXW.jpg

Thanks.

Ya done lots of pastrami pizzas. They are amazing and a great way to us it. Haven't done a white sauce variation yet. My favorite might be pastrami, pickle and red onion and dip a little thousand island or mustard.
ECJG2Evl.png

Back