Pellet grill questions

Salty

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a Pit Boss Classic pellet grill for fathers day and I’m about to dive into it and make some amazing grub. I’m new to pellet grilling and the only concern I have is how to cook multiple things at once on it. I have experience with gas and charcoal grills and know how to adjust the temp with hot and cool spots with burners or charcoal and can cook meats and vegetables at the same time. How can I do this with a pellet grill without having different zones? I’d like to cook some ribeyes and maybe some asparagus and potatoes on the grill but don’t know how with this one. Prob just some trial and error but I’d appreciate any tips you guys might have to make it easier. Thanks!

You can try moving a thermometer around, and see if you have any hot and cold spots. Some will vary across the grate, but unless it designed for multi zone cooking, like the FEC and Yoder, I think you are looking at a single temp cooker.

One thing to keep in mind is that veggies like asparagus are still tasty even when warm or room temp. That means if you start veggies to get done earlier than needed your not hurting anything. If your grill has a slide open searing spot, then you can easily char meat after it is mostly done cooking. On mine, I have no searing slider, so hotspots are around the edge for searing. On the top rack of mine, the temp is 25 to 35 degrees hotter than the digital probe so i will take advantage of that, and on the back side of the top burner, the heat is more intense coming up the wall of the barrel.
Hope that is helpful?

You could also do the biscuit test. Get two or three cans of Pilsburry biscuits and put them on cookie sheets, 1 sheet per shelf of the smoker and then run the smoker and check to see which biscuits get done faster. That tells you where your hot spots are. Once you know this, you can move the food around as you cook it from hottest to just hot areas.

Back