Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Wings

Here's my initial impression:

OK, here's my initial impression of tasting straight out of the bag by fingertip method. An initial burst of citrus zest and celery were prominent immediately, swiftly followed by the sweet and salt which seemed equal in strength. Then the heat hit and took over but not as strong as I thought it would be. After about 5 seconds I did detect what some may consider a bitterness but it was slight to me and not unpleasent at all (I like bitter I might add). After 10 seconds the after taste was quite good with more of the heat and sweet pronounced than anything else. I can definitely use this as a stand alone - probably better for beef, and as a mix with something like Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. It will be useful added to recipes as well.

I definitely do not regret getting four pouches.

I'm looking forward to mine. I have a recipe that I think this rub will go well with. It calls for injecting and marinating the wings for a few hours, patting them dry and adding the rub and then smoking them.

OK. Redhot just did her cook on the wings. She managed to get PERFECT bite through and crunchy at the same time. These were farkin' FANTASTIC. I ate 9 before I called it quits and more from a full belly than anything else. We served with O'Charley's blue cheese dressing and raw broccoli with O'Charley's Bacon Ranch dressing. Simply outstanding. Redhot will post a cook thread.

We finally did the HDD wings tonight, Guerry let me take the reins completely FOR once and guss what? We got the best wings I've ever had! Yeah, I got not only bite through skin, but it was slightly crispy too. The Habenaro Death Dust? I love it, just goes to show different strokes for different folks...I love a small amount of sweet and a lot of heat - never had wings this good from anywhere! Pix to follow, but I'm totally satisfied right now and resizing pix takes way too much effort....will post a new thread for the cook tomorrow...or maybe Thursday since the big boss is always here on Wednesdays/file review day...always a bad day for me. But Dayum, I got bite through and crispy on my first go round? And Mike, your rub OMG, ROCKS!

What is the purpose of the oil in the initial step?
Given that the rub's main ingredients are water-soluble (sugar, salt), and a quick 1hr marinade was used, I would think something partially or entirely water-based would be appropriate.

What is the purpose of the oil in the initial step?
Given that the rub's main ingredients are water-soluble (sugar, salt), and a quick 1hr marinade was used, I would think something partially or entirely water-based would be appropriate.

Good question. There are a couple of reasons.
  • The oil helps lubricate the chicken skin, and helps keep the meat from sticking on the grill.
  • It also helps the skin to get crispy under high heat
  • And finally (and most importantly), while salt and sugar are water soluable, many of our other ingredients are actually more fat soluable than water soluable. So the oil helps carry the chile's and other spices' volitile oils to the meat.

The one hour quick marinade time was just a baseline. We've done this very successfully with up to 24 hours of fridge time.

Check out RedHot's post, she went 3 days on her oil marinade and you can actually see the meat's absorbed some of the chile oils in her closeup "bite" shot...

Good question. There are a couple of reasons.
  • The oil helps lubricate the chicken skin, and helps keep the meat from sticking on the grill.
  • It also helps the skin to get crispy under high heat
  • And finally (and most importantly), while salt and sugar are water soluable, many of our other ingredients are actually more fat soluable than water soluable. So the oil helps carry the chile's and other spices' volitile oils to the meat.
The one hour quick marinade time was just a baseline. We've done this very successfully with up to 24 hours of fridge time.

Check out RedHot's post, she went 3 days on her oil marinade and you can actually see the meat's absorbed some of the chile oils in her closeup "bite" shot...

Which made them absolutely awesome by the way...:becky::thumb::thumb:

Oh, and we got our other two pouches today too. Thanks Mike!

Got mine today. # 130 of 150 and did the fingertip taste. Man, hot but good. Cant wait to make wings saturday.

Here's my initial impression:

OK, here's my initial impression of tasting straight out of the bag by fingertip method. An initial burst of citrus zest and celery were prominent immediately, swiftly followed by the sweet and salt which seemed equal in strength. Then the heat hit and took over but not as strong as I thought it would be. After about 5 seconds I did detect what some may consider a bitterness but it was slight to me and not unpleasent at all (I like bitter I might add). After 10 seconds the after taste was quite good with more of the heat and sweet pronounced than anything else. I can definitely use this as a stand alone - probably better for beef, and as a mix with something like Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. It will be useful added to recipes as well.

I definitely do not regret getting four pouches.

This is a spot on description of the taste outta the pouch IMHO. My initial thought was celery salt, followed by sweet...and then a building warmth. The heat kinda builds steadily.

Made a rub butter with some Death Dust today (topped my tri-tip dinner with it). Tasting it with the butter...the sweet was way more pronounced. The citrus/celery element seemed lessened...but the wonderful, building, warmth was still there for sure.

Its good stuff. Ordered a couple more today (hopefully they're not all gone)...gotta get some more before they are.

I went too hot on the first batch and didn't have time to make 2 batches so my wife could eat them as well. So I marinaded them in secret weapon and dusted with HDD this time. They had amazing flavor and just a little bite. My wife liked them more than the last batch I made her with no spice. These were not as spicey as I would like but was a great experiment. It's fun to try new things and work towards what's optimal for you. I also got bag 150/150 today that I requested muhahaha!

WOW! That was some good chit.. I took chicken breast strips, rubbed with evoo and death dust. It was the perfect blend of heat n sweet. Cant wait to try on wings saturday.. Good job Mike and the Oakridge BBQ gang!

Got my two bags yesterday...and made some awesome tasting wings!

A view of this new stuff that I haven't seen posted yet:

OakridgeBBQ003.jpg

And the reverse side of my two bags:

OakridgeBBQ001.jpg

Yep, you saw that right!

OakridgeBBQ002.jpg

Thanks Mike for the most awesome dust! :thumb:

I have a couple dozen wings thawing and a quick search provided this recipe. The wings look AMAZING. For a weeknight cook, I'd rather do these on my gasser, pretty sure that's doable for the low temp and the high temp sear. Might throw a cherry chip smoke bomb on the burner during the first hour.

My concern is the heat level. We like spicy. Slap Yo Mama (Spicy, not the regular) is used on almost everything (sprinkled it on my sandwich for lunch). We use Habanero's in the jar when I make Maru's pickles. Jalapeno's (raw and cooked) are regularly part of our meals.

I have the HDD, have done the pinch on the tongue, seems ok (as in not too hot). Just haven't marinated something in it before. So, how hot are these? Might want to do half this way and the other half another way in case they get ridiculous hot.

My concern is the heat level.

Others can chime in but don't let it fool you. It definitely packs a punch. Awesome rub. The first night I made them, I ate one wing. The heat mellowed out a bit overnight and the next day I was able to eat 2 at a time. Darn good though. It's sort of a slow burn that intensifies.

Back