• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CVAP setting

Limp Brisket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got a full size CVAP in my garage that was recently acquired, my question is what settings do those of you that have one prefer? I've seen 165 +10 for Que but is that what you like? I don't want mushy bark due to the steam/humidity. I'd be holding racks of beef short ribs for 4-5 hours.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I do 160 +8 for butts & brisket and 156 +12 for back ribs & chicken. Seems to do pretty good and I haven't fooled around with it too much.

Interesting.

I run 140 +30.

I hold brisket, butts, ribs, sausage and my buns in the same unit. Its just too much moisture for chicken.

The CVAP I bought is used, and I wonder how calibrated the controls are on a 10 year old unit?

I put a Maverick probe in it and the Maverick read about 15 degrees higher than the dial on the front. Turned up to full throttle, it got to nearly 210 on the Maverick.

Are any of you wrapping them first in plastic wrap before putting them in the CVAP?

How long is everyone resting their wrapped briskets before putting them into the CVAP. And how long is everyone holding them in the CVAP before moisture loss starts to happen

Curious what the set temp + number is on CVAPs. I have a small Alto Shaam I have been playing around with and mine is more like set temp +/-6-8* sine wave.

Back