Frozen shelf life

cardiac_cadet002

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brothers and Sisters! I was cleaning the deep freeze and ran across a 17lb brisket still in the cryo. thats about a 1 1/2 years old. I've done a search and cant find a definitive answer to whether its still good or even safe to fix it. Whats your thoughts?

I'd defrost in the fridge, open it up and smell it. If it smells good I'd smoke it. And then after you smoke it, I'd give it a try. If it tastes good, eat it. If it doesn't feed it to the dogs.

I don't know about 1.5 years, but I wouldn't go 4 years. This I know...

I'd defrost in the fridge, open it up and smell it. If it smells good I'd smoke it. And then after you smoke it, I'd give it a try. If it tastes good, eat it. If it doesn't feed it to the dogs.

Thank you! you speaking from exp?

The meat is going to be safe to eat.....how tasty and dry it is, well....that's a different question.

Good advice!!

Sounds good!:-D Except give it to a neighbors yappy dog if in doubt.:biggrin:

The meat is going to be safe to eat.....how tasty and dry it is, well....that's a different question.

Gotwood has got it right. If the brisket has been frozen, never defrosted[power outage, etc], it will be safe to eat. I am guessing that in the original cyro-pac it will still maintain good eating quality too.

USDA says properly frozen food in a deep-freeze lasts indefinitely as far as safty is concerned.

Gotwood has got it right. If the brisket has been frozen, never defrosted[power outage, etc], it will be safe to eat. I am guessing that in the original cyro-pac it will still maintain good eating quality too.

USDA says properly frozen food in a deep-freeze lasts indefinitely as far as safty is concerned.

Safe yes, good tasting? No. :oops:

Safe yes, good tasting? No. :oops:

Absoulty right Bigdog. Taste or quality is a seperate issue from safty.
4 years, I too say NO. But 1.5 years, maybe. If cyro-packed, and solidly frozen, it COULD still taste fine. Maybe not something for a comp:shock:, but ok for home use, or at least chili.

As a kid growing up, we regularly ate stuff out of our freezer that was over a year old. Tasted good, too.

Smoked slow and low, I have done some old beef and elk and had no problems as long as the freeze has been uninterrupted.

Thanks for all the responses. I belive the butcher told me they were frozen a few days out from the exp. date. I'll defrost it this week and cook it Thursday and report back how it is.

Back