• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Think I Just Ate Ham On A Stick

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
First cook on my new offset smoker today. trimmed down Smithfield ET full spares to St. Louis cut. Cook went pretty well. Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Gospel about 15 min before they hit the smoke.

Tasted like pure ham. I have made more than a few racks of ribs and I have never seen that.

Anything I could have done to cause that or it is just the way it was processed?

0aLxtPIl.jpg

Thanks,

Yum cured ribs. Might have to try this!

I have had the same experience twice smoking Smithfield ribs.

I don’t buy them anymore…

I love ham and eat Smithfield often but I agree that it’s what they keep it on the shelf with. No prob for me.

Well “extra tender” IS their “enhanced” line after all, so that’s not entirely surprising:

Ingredients: Pork, up to a 8% Solution of Water, contains 2% or less of Sodium Phosphates, Potassium Acetate, Potassium Lactate, and Salt
Active Ingredients: Solution of Water, Contains 2% or Less of Sodium Phosphates, Potassium Acetate, Potassium Lactate and Salt to Improve Tenderness and Juiciness.

I’ve had really good luck lately with Smithfield non-enhanced pork ribs.

As others have said...Smithfield.

Alot of the other producers aren't much better now days. Growing up I loved ribs and even as a young adult I got into smoking and enjoyed them 1-2 times a month.

Last 5 years, I've had maybe 10 racks of ribs. I've used my pellet smoker, Weber, Kamado, stick burner....I just don't enjoy them anymore after the first 2 bones.

I agree with just about everyone here...the problem is the "Extra Tender" ribs from Smithfields. I've had a similar issue and ever since have refused to buy Smithfields products.

If you boil the ribs first will that get rid of the ET Injection?

#askingforafriend

I agree with everybody. They were ET ribs. I have cooked them quite a bit over the last year or so because it's what the two stores near me have been carrying. They have never turned out this "hammy" though. I probably won't buy them again.

Like others said, its Smithfield. Avoid them like the plague. Another one i avoid is Swift. Neither of these brands are even cheap anymore. Spares use to be $1.79/lb, Now your lucky to get them for $2.79/lb. And i can get local brand STL's for $3.29/lb. Not the best price, but worth the extra cost.

Smithfield pork = Junk

Sorry this happened to you. Hard lesson to learn. I learned it several years ago

An offset was the first smoker I ever used. I will tell you that everything I cooked on it tasted like ham. Ribs always did and I didn't use Smithfield. I'm guessing it had more to do with not having the wood sufficiently heated before tossing it in the pit and it smoked more than it should have. When I switched to the Oval, no more ham flavor. A lot of people liked that flavor, including myself. It wasn't bitter or nasty. It was just hammy.

Sometimes you can find the Smithfield "All Natural" ribs at WalMart. Those are the only ones I would consider...

What Colin said! I did one of their butts not too long ago. The worst ever. I did vac seal the rest and labeled for chili or beans only

Back