**** The 2018 Chicagoland Picnic/Bash Picture Thread!

Nicely done, farkers – you’ve done this all proud!

Hoping to make it to another one of these before too much time passes. Great folks, great food! :hungry:

Nicely done, farkers – you’ve done this all proud!

Hoping to make it to another one of these before too much time passes. Great folks, great food! :hungry:

Dave (T&S BBQ) was still raving about the wings you made when you were out last time. Three years ago I think. They were damn good! :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looks like y'all had a mighty fine time!

Hope to join y'all at a future bash.

Bryan, thanks for driving out from Iowa, hope you had a good time. That Iowa sweet corn was off the hook! And Dave... Grabnabber seemed to enjoy the Malort quite a bit! He finished the bottle So I do not lose points. :mrgreen:

Was great seeing everyone again, food was amazing. I'm still in a food coma.
Finally out of my food coma. Thanks for the hospitality this weekend. It was great to meat new members and member that I have seen around here since I joined.

If people are afraid to come out and cook with us and that is why they aren't showing up. You just need to bring one item you do really well and share. It really doesn't have to be that much. We had way more food than people and still had leftovers. I can't guarantee I'll make it every year but I do plan on coming back.

I know there were more cameras out than just mine & Ron's. Post those pics guys 'n gals.

For those wanting the filipino pork barbecue recipe, here it is.

Changes:
I did not use the dipping sauce which we only make occassionally.
I also did not baste with the banana ketchup/sesame oil combination, I'm just not a fan.
We had straight marinaded pork sticks, thats all.
For an 8# pork butt which was near 6# after removing the bone, which is what this recipe calls for, the measurements were too much. You could halve this recipe and it would still be plenty. I went by the recipe but cut the brown sugar and only 1/2 a 2liter 7up and it was still way too much.

Enjoy

https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/filipino-pork-barbecue/

Group shot

Names with the group shot would help Thanks for sharring

I'm probably going to screw this up, and apologize in advance.

It was a pleasure to meet Sweetsmoke87, Pyle, T&S and Teebody this time around and I think a number of them met up Friday night with the out of town/north side of Chicagoland folks. Wish I coulda made that to spend more time with you all.

You asked for group shot info, but I gotta pick out an additional. Here is, left to right an earlier pic as Jon (Sweetsmoke87) had a wedding to go to.

o3FUFACh.jpg

L to R: David (T&S BBQ), Teebody, and Jon (Sweetsmoke87)

Sorry Teebody, I knew your name yesterday, but I am terrible with real names versus screen names.

The group picture was an attachment, so I'll lay out the names and attach again:

attachment.php

L to R: David and Nancy (T&S BBQ), Bryan(Pyle's BBQ) Mr&Mrs Teebody, Ron_L, Tom (Grabnabber) with Grabnabber Spawn 2 then 1, Bill-Chicago, Mrs Grabnabber in the shadows, Steve (NeoTrout) and Andy (LYU370)

Not much to add from my camera that wasn't already touched upon upthread.

Certainly enjoyed meeting some new people, established Brethren that were still new to me from a face to face conversation standpoint, as well as talking with old friends.

It's unfortunate we can't get more people out for this (admittedly, this was my first one, last year was the honeymoon and prior marriage made it a no go). See, I just came up with my own excuses! But my point was, I've made a number of the mid winter lunches, but that is so much more of a 11am meet up, 11:30 or so get settled, 12:noon lunch, and by 1:30, you're leaving back to your igloo.

Jo and I have met some great people the past few winter lunches: LYU370, Shagdog, Chicagokp, OIFMarine (sp), Bluesman, but you are really limited to who you happen to sit near. Sat next to T&S BBQ this past winter at BBQ supply and never got a chance to speak to him.

The picnic solves all that. You have hours to mingle with folks and get some conversations going. I loved it. Would have had an additional hour if 294 wasn't so jacked up, then we could have fed Sweetsmoke some :)

Thanks Andy for the Redemption shot! was pretty good stuff.

Thanks again Ron for all your hard work, not only organizing, but also moderating here.

Couple different shots of the food, the rest I had looked like the above

Attachments

• Pyles iowa corn.jpg
    Pyles iowa corn.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 196
  • LYU370 fatties.jpg
    LYU370 fatties.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 197
  • filipino pork bbq.jpg
    filipino pork bbq.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the pics! That's a great looking group of Brethren!
Hats off to ya'll for a Great BBQ Brethren Bash!! :mrgreen:

Hey Ron, how did you like that lump?

It's infused with animal fat.

I have mixed feelings :-D

When it first started it was very smoky, likely from the rendered animal fat, but once it got going it burned with a pretty good sized flame, as in the picture, but burned cleanly. The flames dies after about 15 minutes and after that it burned nicely, but maybe a little faster than regular lump. The ash left was low.

Here is where the jury is out. I mainly cook on drums or the PK. For the drums, I use a version of a Minion burn, with a small portion of lit charcoal to start, and the fire spreads as it goes. I am concerned with the smoky start and flames in that application. Same for indirect in the PK, where I use a pile of unlit and add lit to it. Yesterday I used Western lump for the unlit since I wasn’t sure how the infused stuff would work. If I were grilling on the PK it would be fine since I would be using a bed of all lit charcoal.

The bash keeps on giving :-D

I took some of Bill’s Filipino Pork BBQ sticks home and used some for lunch today! I made a quick salad of fresh veggies, avocado mayo and Sriracha and had Filipino Pork BBQ Lettuce Wraps!

Thanks Bill!

Attachments

• 4D2648E3-E0B4-46B6-A9ED-387DA97D9611.jpg
    4D2648E3-E0B4-46B6-A9ED-387DA97D9611.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 178
I'm probably going to screw this up, and apologize in advance.

It was a pleasure to meet Sweetsmoke87, Pyle, T&S and Teebody this time around and I think a number of them met up Friday night with the out of town/north side of Chicagoland folks. Wish I coulda made that to spend more time with you all.

You asked for group shot info, but I gotta pick out an additional. Here is, left to right an earlier pic as Jon (Sweetsmoke87) had a wedding to go to.

o3FUFACh.jpg

L to R: David (T&S BBQ), Teebody, and Jon (Sweetsmoke87)

Sorry Teebody, I knew your name yesterday, but I am terrible with real names versus screen names.

The group picture was an attachment, so I'll lay out the names and attach again:

attachment.php

L to R: David and Nancy (T&S BBQ), Bryan(Pyle's BBQ) Mr&Mrs Teebody, Ron_L, Tom (Grabnabber) with Grabnabber Spawn 2 then 1, Bill-Chicago, Mrs Grabnabber in the shadows, Steve (NeoTrout) and Andy (LYU370)

Teebody is Ted & Lisa

Back