View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Red Sky Grilling Pizza Stone ordered...Advice?

Hi all,

I just pulled the trigger on the Red Sky D shaped pizza stone...hope it gets here by weekend.

I've googled and found several threads on the site here dedicated to this. I saw a few of them by a gentleman that made a "Frankenweber", that appeared to be modified for gas heating.

I have a regular Weber 22" Kettle grill. I've purchased the Kettle Pizza insert that raises the lid up and has a slit there for sliding the pizza in/out.

I tried it out with a normal stone, and I guess doing temps to 900F like a real wood oven was too much, scorched pizza bottom. I also discoverd then, that with this type set up, my old wooden peel wouldn't do the trick, so I have bought a nice 14" metal one ready for next time.

My question is...what "IS" the temp to shoot for in the weber with this stone? How do you arrange the coals? How much charcoal? I'm guessing briquettes rather than lump..for longer heat...

Or, do you just use some charcoal and us that to start a real wood fire...which I did my first time that burned the hell outta everything....?

I'd not seen any other posts really since about a year ago, so, hoping those with experience with this might have some pointers on how to start.

Also, I'd seen allusions to doing some kind of mod to the lid? PUtting foil there or something to lower the top down for ensuring cooking of the toppings in time with the crust bottom?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote