• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I want it too... Less charcoal and I cook two racks max anyway.... Gonna get it

Sweet! Looking forward to your review and how it compares to the original. Maybe see how it fits in a car trunk or backseat for portability?

It would suit my cook-capacity needs 90% of the time. And it has that shiny porcelain finish and better designed charcoal basket that my original PBC lacks. But ... I can't justify it at the moment.

Funny, the one thing I find a bit small about the standard is the grate space for doing things like wings. Although this junior appears it could handle my hanging needs just fine, I don't think it would handle my grate needs.

Doing some competition pork practice...i had to share this Money Muscle as it was going in for the wrap..it was as big as a tenderloin!
ZFE0kmwl.jpg

Turkey breast

Did a pre-Thanksgiving turkey breast. It was 10 lb, more or less. Took about 3 hours total with the turkey hanger to get to 160 degrees. Seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird. It came out great.

wmMwc7ch.jpg

7rgpdQqh.jpg

8jgAc1rh.jpg

^^^^^ Excellent looking breast!!!

Question for the group - I am going to be cooking a whole turkey (maybe two depending on the number of guests) in the PBC for Thanksgiving and and am wondering if there are any tips/tricks to getting to proper IT with the dark meat without overcoming the breast. Or is the positioning with the hanger generally enough to shield the breast from heat while exposing the legs to more heat? Any advice is appreciated as I've never cooked a turkey in the PBC.

Question for the group - I am going to be cooking a whole turkey (maybe two depending on the number of guests) in the PBC for Thanksgiving and and am wondering if there are any tips/tricks to getting to proper IT with the dark meat without overcoming the breast. Or is the positioning with the hanger generally enough to shield the breast from heat while exposing the legs to more heat? Any advice is appreciated as I've never cooked a turkey in the PBC.

I've cooked a few turkeys on the PBC and if you get to 165 in the breast the dark meat will be cooked to a safe temp and will be nice and juicy. Best of luck on your bird!

Did a pre-Thanksgiving turkey breast. It was 10 lb, more or less. Took about 3 hours total with the turkey hanger to get to 160 degrees. Seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird. It came out great.

wmMwc7ch.jpg

7rgpdQqh.jpg

8jgAc1rh.jpg

Looks great! We always do a turkey in the oven and one in the PBC. I may consider doing a breast this year in the PBC since most folks aren't big fans of dark meat.

Temp control

I don't know how anyone gets low enough temps starting with 35 or so coals in the chimney and one-quarter to one-half open intake. But, after a lot of experimentation, removing the intake cover and replacing it with a sheet magnet (that a clothing store gave me!) and using 20 coals in the chimney, I get 200 degrees and no temp fluctuation. And, check out how narrow an opening I have set!. Great for smoking fish. 25 coals gets me 275-285.

The magnet also makes shutting the PBC down easier than jamming foil in the intake.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 307

The best trick I know of is removing the bird from the fridge (or where ever you thawed it out) and placing it somewhere temperature-safe. Then fill some big ziplocks with ice and drape them across the breast until you're ready to cook. The end result is the breast meat starts out much colder than the rest and so does not reach the target temp before the rest of the bird.

New Accessories

Pit Barrel Cooker Company just announced some new accessories. Some nice options and a pretty good price, especially the value pack:

Attachments

• pbcaccessoriesjpg.jpg
    pbcaccessoriesjpg.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 258
The best trick I know of is removing the bird from the fridge (or where ever you thawed it out) and placing it somewhere temperature-safe. Then fill some big ziplocks with ice and drape them across the breast until you're ready to cook. The end result is the breast meat starts out much colder than the rest and so does not reach the target temp before the rest of the bird.

This!!! Ice pack on the breasts. It works.

New PBC just arrived this morning. I placed my order Monday after I decided the PBC was perfect size for our shore house and get's me started into hanging meat.

Added 2 turkey hangers, gloves, ash pan, charcoal starter and cover. Can't wait to use this!

PBC Mod and some good chicken

Being the compulsive tinkerer that I am I made the sliding intake vent for the PBC I have wanted to make for a while. Made from stainless sheet with some heat resistant paint. It enables me to snuff out the charcoal when done. Worked a treat. Did some chicken last night done over red gum lump charcoal. Red gum likes to burn hot, so it's good for chicken or grilling. Two chicken halves with mustard base and dry rub hung at 300 with a chunk of hickory, I pulled them at 157 internal and added homemade sauce, they went back in and cranked it up to 350 for around 20 or so more minutes. Result was excellent.
Once done I closed up the vent and still had around 1/3 of a basket left.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 487
New PBC just arrived this morning. I placed my order Monday after I decided the PBC was perfect size for our shore house and get's me started into hanging meat.

Added 2 turkey hangers, gloves, ash pan, charcoal starter and cover. Can't wait to use this!

Welcome. Glad to have you with us!

Back