Made my first brisket -- OTS held ~260 for 13 hours

L

LJ5.0

I used fire bricks end to end and mounded the coals up to the grill grate height. I lit about 20 and dumped them on the pile (besically the minion method). Put the brisket on and took the temp at the vent 30 mins later. It was a touch under 275, and I went back to bed for two hours. Checked temp and it was virtually the same. Checked about every 1.5 hours and was continually amazed that it stayed so steady -- it was dropping in temp VERY slowly over the course of the afternoon. I used kickory chips also, BTW.

Didn't adjust vents or anything. Had the bottom just barely open and the top open about a third. I took the meat's temp after 8 hours and it was only at 155, which was a surprise (9 pounds packer, BTW). I had to leave it on so long that I ended up eating something else :) So once it hit 180 I foiled it, wrapped that in a towel, and put it in my oven (turned off -- I don't have a cooler so this seemed like a good place to rest it).

Made some killer beans too. Pr0n coming. I'm crossing my fingers b/c brisket seems to foil many a Q'er.

First of all, no pics.....didn't happen.

You might find it a lil tough and dry at 180, shoot for 195 min. next time, ifa next time ever happens. :biggrin:

Pics will be posted when I get home. Thanks for the tip. Will def take it higher next time.

Back