View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyLeg View Post
I'm no competitor so for me BBQ is all about cooking for friends and family, and if I'm lucky I made some good Q, but it's the process for me that I enjoy. The good food is a bonus. There's nothing better than someone complimenting my Q though!

this pretty much nails it for me. i have always love good Q. ( hell for you folks in the south you would probably say i have loved bad Q ). i never took the time to learn the hows and whys until a few years ago i started having chest pains. ( at the age of 35 ) i had been a steady smoker since i was about 14/15 and i had unsuccessfully tried quitting many times. this time i decided i needed a distraction and Q is it.

i originally thought that competition would be a goal, but i the more i thought about it the more it didnt make sense. i quit smoking to be able to spend more time on earth with my loved ones, and if i got into competition cooking it would likely cause me to spend less time with them. ( i am pretty OCD and uber competitive.) so yeah, i get my calls/walks/trophies everytime a friend or family asks me to cook for their party or just talks up my Q to somebody else.

i've lost several family members to pancreatic cancer, there is nothing that you can really say except its fast. my mother in law was less than 2 months from feeling healthy to her funeral. sorry to hear about your friend LD.

lifes a hell of a ride, make sure you get on.

Thanks from:--->