Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Congratulations, Steve.
You simply can't go wrong with a Lone Star. Unbelievable quality and unheard of
customer service.

I should add that I ended up ordering a LSG Mini w/ the side table, 8" wheels, bar/ grab handle and the diverter plate. Still researching the temp controllers but kinda sorta leaning toward the Flame Boss. I like the variable fan speed feature as well as having all the info (meat temp, smoker temp, fan speed etc) on the screen at all times making it easy to simply glance and see what's happening w/o needing to scroll.

Viticulture, my suggestion would be the DigiQ and pitbull fan combo.
Very simple, easy to set, and does great with the Lonestar cabinet.

Bonus is that there are tons of DigiQ's out there, and you can find a setup used for about $100 total for everything! DigiQ is probably the most used system as it has been around for a long time.

Let someone else take the depreciating $ hit....buy used!

DigiQ is perfect for the Lonestar. Unless u want wifi, then you have to get a CyberQ or one of the wifi units available. Wifi is a gimmick in my experience (I made my own internet enabled Heatermeter) as once you set the pit temp and food temp, there is nothing really to do....you just wait until food is done!

Just my $0.02 from experience!

Hey Harleykids - thanks man - that's exactly what I've deduced over the past week. I like to keep it as simple as possible and wi-fi just adds another layer of potential irritation. Like you said, DigiQ has been around a loooong time = proven. I figure I'll run the cabinet w/o anything for awhile and then add the controller down the road a few. Certainly am looking fwd to getting it though.... only like 6 more weeks. It'll be here before I know it.

I should add that I ended up ordering a LSG Mini w/ the side table, 8" wheels, bar/ grab handle and the diverter plate. Still researching the temp controllers but kinda sorta leaning toward the Flame Boss. I like the variable fan speed feature as well as having all the info (meat temp, smoker temp, fan speed etc) on the screen at all times making it easy to simply glance and see what's happening w/o needing to scroll.

Read post #37 and #38

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246346&page=3&highlight=Guru+flame+boss

cheez59 - Thanks for the head's up re; FB. I had read that post a few days back and decided the FB wasn't for me. Think I'll probably go w/ the tried and true DigiQ when the time comes. Would be neat to see Thermoworks come into the arena.

Well, When I get home tonight I will be finishing up a 3 day cook on my mini. I am the food guy for the varsity football team. We are in the first round of the playoffs, and we (the parents) are going to have a team lunch tomorrow. I started Tuesday morning fire up the mini lsg vertical and cook 3-15# briskets in pans (a first for me). I setup the DigiQ and went to work. I chopped and refrigerated that evening. I set the DigiQ at 220 degrees and let her stay hot all night. Wednesday morning at 6 am reloaded the fire basket and cooked 3 more briskets. Last night chopped and refrigerated. Turned down the DigiQ and this morning I reloaded the fire box changed the smoke profile and I am cooking 2-9# pork butts to pull tonight for my in-laws and company over Thanksgiving week. Everything went flawless. I reduced my cooking space using pans, but cleanup has been easy. The DigiQ works like a dream. I check on the meat at lunch and at 6 when I got home. Pull it when it is probe tender. All large cuts of meat get cooked in the LSG with the DigiQ, but since I still love my stick burner smaller cuts are cooked in it.

Why does the fire always manage to skip over the T-plates??? Seems like they should work but nope, every time.

Would love to see pics from someone's fire brick setup.

Why does the fire always manage to skip over the T-plates??? Seems like they should work but nope, every time.

They get too hot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have had it jump the fire bricks as well. I wonder if they get so hot they ignite the charcoal

Attachments

• 20160819_164955.jpg
    20160819_164955.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 643
I have never had the fire jump my Lonestar metal T plates, but I run them at max width (around 3" or so between plates)

I also only start about 3 briquettes on fire when I start my fire, so I keep my fire small.
I run a DigiQ and don't have any issues with fire jumping, etc.

There is a pic of my firebox setup a few pages back, will try to find it...

There are several reasons why it can jump. Spacing may be to narrow. ATC fan blowing hot ash (especially if the controller doesn't run a variable speed fan, 25cfm bursts of air can stir a lot of ash). Wood embers are also a likely reason, especially really dried wood like you would find in per-packaged bags will "pop" more than would more properly seasoned wood will do. Transfer from underneath can also be a contributing factor, small coals fall down into the ash pan roll a little and then transfer up. Leaving the fire box door closed during the cook will also decrease the chance of this happening since every time you open the door you are stoking the fire increasing the chance for all of the above to happen.

Chris
Lone Star Grillz

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences with the Lonestar Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet. It has helped me a lot in deciding which smoker to choose. I had been on the fence between their stick burner and the IVC. Ultimately, I went with the IVC since I have a 10 month old full of energy and plans for expanding my family in the near future.( later I might have to get their offset). I have been smoking on a smoke vault propane smoker so I am excited on this upgrade.

I just ordered the Mini today with..
Folding Table
SS Handle
Tie downs
8'' Wheels
Heat diverter
T-Plates
3-extra rails
2-grates

Thinking of maybe adding the 3rd grate. Don't know yet. I was told it would take 6 weeks and if anyone is on the fence about ordering one, they have free shipping on orders over 3000 right now. Thanks again all!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences with the Lonestar Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet. It has helped me a lot in deciding which smoker to choose. I had been on the fence between their stick burner and the IVC. Ultimately, I went with the IVC since I have a 10 month old full of energy and plans for expanding my family in the near future.( later I might have to get their offset). I have been smoking on a smoke vault propane smoker so I am excited on this upgrade.

I just ordered the Mini today with..
Folding Table
SS Handle
Tie downs
8'' Wheels
Heat diverter
T-Plates
3-extra rails
2-grates

Thinking of maybe adding the 3rd grate. Don't know yet. I was told it would take 6 weeks and if anyone is on the fence about ordering one, they have free shipping on orders over 3000 right now. Thanks again all!

You can skip the T-plates IMO, other than that, Congrats on the order!!! You'll love it!

Agree. My T-Plates are seasoned, wrapped in plastic, and somewhere in the garage behind my pile of charcoal and wood chunks. Never used them.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Back