View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

While Chris Lilly is right, there's an art there. It takes a while to learn. Focusing on that
is key to cooking great BBQ, but I wouldn't skip the other variables along the way. Rubs
get that great flavor down into the meat and give you that great tasting bark. Some
use injections; others dont. I do, but keep it very simple. Sauce should complement
the flavor of the meat (taking into account the rub you may be using). Honestly, as
most of my friends and neighbors and relatives are learning when they come over,
sauce is largely unnecessary when the meat is done properly... We do sauce ribs
and chicken ever-so-slightly, using a sauce that IMHO complements them (so it's not
a strong sauce).

He's right though, focus on the meat. Keep the temps low (within reason, I started
off trying 220 or less; learned other hard lessons along the way), keep the temps
as consistent as you can, watch the amount and type of smoke you're putting on the
meat, do not over-watch it (top off of a cooker ain't cookin'), and pull the meat when
it's just right (as he stated).
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote