Sliced pics please! If you have. PBC makes a killer Tri tip.

These Tri-Tips got an hour in the PBC until they were between 125-135. Then I seared them off (pic is pre-sear).

C5y8uaMl.jpg

Looking pharping amazing!

Update from First Smoke

Below is a summary and some photos from my first smoke. I did this last weekend and didn't post on here because I rant out of time on Saturday and was out of town for work this past week.

Charcoal - used Kingsford Original
Rub - homemade rub that includes brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, garlic salt, chipotle red pepper, and onion powder
Sauce - sweet baby rays

Setup - heated up coals and then put them on top of unheated coals that I had in bottom of PBC. Waited about 20 minutes and then put the ribs in. I also put some hickory wood chunks on top of the coals (i did not soak these).

Cook Info - I was aiming for about a 3-3.5 hour smoke on these plus time for the sauce to glaze but they ended up cooking in about 2.5 hours. I monitored the temp of the ribs as well as the temp in the PBC with a Weber iGrill and the ribs were at 190 degrees after about 2:20. The temp in the PBC seemed to be run at about 285-300 the entire time so trying to figure out what I might have done wrong. My thoughts/questions are below.

1) As a first timer, I'm thinking that I probably checked on the ribs way more than I should have. I opened up the smoker 3-4 times which I know raised the temp and caused this to cook too fast. Since this was the first time I was trying to make sure that the ribs hadn't fallen off of the hook.
2) Assuming that by not soaking the wood chips this also could have raised the temp in the smoker. Any thoughts here?
3) I live just outside of Raleigh, NC so my elevation doesn't require me to open the air vent very much so this shouldn't have altered anything very much
4) After I pulled ribs out of the PBC, the broke off of the hook right as I was putting them onto a baking sheet (got lucky here). Trying to figure out why they broke off so easily
5) Once I pulled the ribs inside, I wrapped them in aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. They turned out great and had a slight smoke ring on them so I was pleased with my first smoke but know that there is room for improvement.

Thanks to all for any help you can give as i'm planning to try another smoke this weekend but not sure if it will be ribs, chicken, or a something else.

Attachments

• IMG_7759.jpg
    IMG_7759.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_7760.jpg
    IMG_7760.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_7761.jpg
    IMG_7761.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 256
I do not need this. I don't. I do not. Nope.

No, really I don't. I already have the original PBC. Can't ... resist ...

Sexy!

Last edited:
Dang. Does this mean we need to start a new thread?? The Pit Barrel JUNIOR or PBJ???

14 inches instead of 18.5. 6 hooks instead of 8. $229 instead of $299.

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/14-pit-barrel-junior/

Thanks for posting. The last time I talked to Noah about the PGJ, he said they were scrapping the idea as the cost to produce would not allow them to sell it much cheaper than the regular model. I guess moving their production overseas may have help address that issue.

I nominate Sako to be the first one to purchase the PBJ, now that he no longer owns a PBC and the Hunsaker is bit too big to take on camping trips, picnics and other outings.

Going in for the kill. Goodbye BHC. :-D

Nice!!!!

Anyone want to bet on a 55 gallon version to follow?

There are enough commercial 55 gal drum smokers out there as competition that I don't see it. Pit Barrel seems to have the dominant commercial position in the 30 gal drum smoker market, and I'm not aware of any smaller commercial drum smokers out there. Although the WSM and it's clones would be competition.

The PBJ is essentially the same height, presumably the same general build quality (steel gauge, etc.), and their FAQ states that the burn time is the same. Given all of that, the only real difference is less capacity and a TINY bit of extra portability. The standard PBC is eminently portable in most rigs, so I wish them the best, but I don't see any compelling differentiation for $70 less.

John

Yup. The Hunsaker and Gateway are $600+

$750 + to start

And like Daddio said it's not cost effecient shipping a 55 Gal drum to your door speaking with Mark Hunsaker when I ordered my Hunsaker. Especially when your eating the cost.

It will be interesting to see how the PBJ sells. As John said, you save $70 for about a 25% reduction in capacity (8 racks of ribs down to 6) which will make it slightly easier to transport because of the diameter reduction? I was able to transport my PBC with no issues in my wife’s old Tahoe before I got my pickup so maybe the PBJ will fit in most sedans’ backseats or trunks? Yeah, I’m not seeing the advantage here to justify buying a PBJ... though don’t let me dissuade anyone here from doing so! I’d definitely like to see some reviews and how it compares with the original, like: are cook times and running temperatures about the same? What about charcoal, as in I’d expect the PBJ to use at least slightly less due to its smaller size?
I also agree that the 55 gallon drum is out due to shipping and plenty of other competitors out there. I love my Gateway UDS clone not only for the increased capacity but the ability to easily adjust temperatures by sliding the vents (which is not what the PBC does as it’s designed to be a “hook it, hang it and let it go until the meat is done” cooker). A PBC is a great entry point and easy way to get into drum cooking at a price point at less than half the cost of a commercially produced 55 gallon drum smoker. A bigger PBC (PBC Grande?) would not have that selling point as I bet they’d have to sell them close to what a Gateway or Hunsaker sells for to make any Noah any money. Plus as Dr. Blonder states in the review of the PBC on Amazing Ribs, a bigger drum than the 30 gallon would likely result in more turbulent, unsteady air flow so you HAVE to have adjustable vents (I do have fiddle with my Gateway clone occasionally until I get what I want dialed in), which, again, is contrary to the selling point of a PBC.

Back