View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the great review..... Awesome comparison..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post

I got a couple of partial bags of charcoal out from the deck cabinet and loaded up 4 WSMs. After getting the last 2 ready, I realized the first one was loaded with Stubbs, the second with Coshell, and the last two were loaded with Royal Oak Chefs Select.

Serendipitous briquette test!

My findings?

The Coshell WSM ran at 275 and seemed to have the longest lasting briquettes but the least smoke aroma. I was impressed with the burn time.

The Stubbs also ran at 275 or so, had the second longest lasting briquettes and a pleasing hardwood smoke aroma.

The ROCS WSMs stayed in the 260-265 range, had the best hardwood smoke aroma, but the briquettes were the fastest burning.

In my final appraisal, using price, availability, and overall performance I determined the winner to be the ROCS.

I liked the Coshell, but the nearest Lowes in 90 miles away and the regular price is pretty spendy. The 18 or 20 lb bags are small for my liking.

The Stubbs is great fuel and I like cooking with it. However it costs more and is less convenient for me to obtain. Also, it's not available in bigger bags.

The ROCS comes in 40 lb bags, I can order it on-line and have it shipped to store (Do It Best hardware) for free. It's about $22.00 for 40 lbs and the Do It Best is about 5 miles closer than Wal Mart. It smells great and performs pretty well.

I also love the burn time of Coshell, as well as easy ash removal still in briquette form. In late November thru January you can find most Lowes has Coshell briquettes for $0.99 to $$1.50 for an 18 - 20 pound bag... I clean out all the local stores or anywhere else I may travel.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->