• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Proposed pork rule change

" Rule 10 was revised on 7/27/21 to take effect as of 11/1/21 (the start of the 2022 KCBS season). The new rule reads:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic, Collar (aka Cellar) and/or Whole Shoulder.
BOD July 27, 2011"

Ed

" Rule 10 was revised on 7/27/21 to take effect as of 11/1/21 (the start of the 2022 KCBS season). The new rule reads:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic, Collar (aka Cellar) and/or Whole Shoulder.
BOD July 27, 2011"

Ed

You weren’t kidding

The USDA Fresh Pork 400 spec 407a defines a pork collar butt, and the difference between that and a CT Butt. I will admit, it's a small difference, and one with lots of ambiguity in there, but just allowing it is better than letting people interpret whether it is legal or not, imo.

From the IMPS 400 Guide:

VX0uGYD.jpg

I noticed that ↑↑↑ the other day after Brad pointed out the 407, but my NAMP guide ↓↓↓ to meat stops there, it does not show a 407A. There might be a newer version. This does show that IMPS recognized "collar" in their 2014 edition

shAZQ1Z.png

Last edited:
That's interesting Thirdeye...seems like with the confusion around what a collar is or is not on here, there would be many more arguments about it out "in the wild"

The USDA Fresh Pork 400 spec 407a defines a pork collar butt, and the difference between that and a CT Butt. I will admit, it's a small difference, and one with lots of ambiguity in there, but just allowing it is better than letting people interpret whether it is legal or not, imo.

Also, PF and SRF collars are 407 CT Butts. I have gotten both in by the case at the restaurant and they are labeled as such. Fun with pork.

I am a little confused with this. I think it's agreed that the 406 or 406A is legal. The description by ThirdEye says the 407 is the same is the 406A, with more removed. We are allowed to remove anything down to 4 lbs, so why wouldn't the 407 or 407A be legal if you are starting with a 406, which is?

I am a little confused with this. I think it's agreed that the 406 or 406A is legal. The description by ThirdEye says the 407 is the same is the 406A, with more removed. We are allowed to remove anything down to 4 lbs, so why wouldn't the 407 or 407A be legal if you are starting with a 406, which is?

Because stupidity.

You can cook a collar as long as you don’t call it a collar….

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/IMPS_400_Fresh_Pork[1].pdf

Page 10 and 27 if anyone is interested.

Never cooked a collar but this thread has me interested. Can you get them without ordering from SRF?

If the meat buyer's guide has them listed you would think someone other than a specialty meat company would have them. But since it appears the Cellar and Collar all begin with the NAMP 406A which is a boneless Boston Butt, you could easily get close at home for a fraction of the cost. When I make sausage I always remove the Coppa end of a butt to save for barbecue, and that is one cut and 5 minutes of trimming.

u7j7yqG.jpg

Back