Knives

Kade

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a knife that cuts through rib cartilage easily? Thanks in advance.

cibOfLv.jpg

vSSUs04.jpg

Any good boning knife will work just fine. The handle is just as important as the blade itself because you want a good grip and solid control when cutting through cartilage. But to answer your question, the best knife I own for this job is a fishing utility knife (not a fillet knife) which has a scalloped blade and an excellent grip. This knife is for field dressing large and/or bony fish and was in the Kershaw 'Blade Trader' series which was discontinued years ago, but they pop up on eBay from time to time.

hZ79FcV.jpg

My traveling knife roll, also from Kershaw, has a more aggressive 'utility' blade (far right) and this set is also out of production. These pop up on eBay as well and are a great investment.

AC53gdA.jpg

Japanese Deba is what Mr Franklin uses in his video featuring spare ribs (I think that’s what he says) There’s a highly rated deba on Amazon for $15, others same high ratings up to $200

I use a Hinkles chef knife amongst others for heavy cutting, it also does nice delicate work

I use one like ThirdEye.

Goes without sayin... keep it sharp. Get a stone and a steel if you don't have one. No point in having the right knife for the job and it's blunt.

Cheers!

Bill

Just ordered the 15$ Japanese Deba. I found interesting the raw wood handle as wife enjoys arts/crafts. I’ll secure the blade and perhaps she’ll put a nice finish.

TSUBAZO Japanese Deba Kitchen Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UCE81K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_jSF6FbWYDTE7T
I have a somewhat similar knife that I bought in Vietnam from the guy that made it. It is laminated iron over a carbon steel center. The handle was some kind of white wood. I put about six or eight light coats of clear polyurethane varnish on it, lightly sanding each coat and the result is fantastic. Like the handle is covered in liquid. I'd encourage your wife to do something similar.

Don't let me keep you from buying a knife, but any sharp, sturdy knife will do...

Back