Best of the West Mesquite Lump

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone using it?

I was in bLowes this morning and took a stroll through the grill aisle and they had half a pallet of 6.6lb bags for $3.98. I think Bigmista mentioned using it.

I usually get Lazarri Mesquite in the 40lb sacks and bust it up. Is this stuff any good?

I use 5 star mesquite lump. Get it at Smart and Final, I love it for grilling. I use a 70% to 30% mix kingsford to mesquite. On the UDS I just use two or three pieces for smoking. It can be very strong. But in small amounts is really good on chix and turkey. I will reverse the mix if I am searing steaks, it burns Hot!:icon_bigsmil Uhh, No I have not used Best of the West:icon_blush:

I've been using that 40 # bag they carry at Smart and Final. I would say it's alright , but the ash production is a bit high. Can't be beat for the money though. Naked Whiz gave it a normal rating I believe.

Yes....I use this stuff. It is ok, but there is sort of a fireworks show in the beginning (lots of sparks, snap crackle and pop)! Also has a lot of "shake" at the bottom (small pieces)!

Love the price at Smart and Final we can get 40lbs. for $12.99

I agree you can't beat the price at Smart & Final for the 40 lb bags....I use Best of the West a majority of the time, especially since I am out of Rancher....been experimenting with RO, Cowboy and BBQs Galore brand....mostly you get better chunks from BotW, moreso than the other brands, but guess it is all a matter of personal preference....even when I used rancher, I was mixing with BotW....so always have a 40 lbr or 2 around....guess my advice is try whatever you find and make your best guess

Cash & Carry has had the Lazarri in 8lb 4packs but I stopped by to grab some and all they had was Western Family briqs and Matchlight, I asked the Mgr. and he just shrugged and said the 40lb bags are outside the front door! Not a good sign!!

Best of the Western fireworks at Smart and Final is $12-$15per 40lbs. bag. Works good in drum.

Back