Sort Of An El Pollo Loco Hack

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I always wanted to try homemade pollo loco and finely got around to it.

For those that may not know, El Pollo Loco is a Mexican style grilled chicken fast food restaurant. Originated in Mexico which still operates there and also here in the Western U.S. (Different companies in both countries but very similar in style) In the U.S. locations are mostly in CA with some locations in AZ and TX. It's flame or fire grilled chicken and it's quite good. You can get chicken meals and also get tostadas, burritos, tacos, salad's etc. They're very decent for a fast food joint.

Anyway, I marinated some drumsticks in orange, lemon, pineapple juice along with cumin, cinnamon, garlic, chile powder, allspice, coriander etc etc. I opted out of any type of food coloring and used turmeric and saffron to get the yellow hue their chicken usually has

pGWfAzLh.jpg

They also have variety of salsas so I did a runny, finely minced pico de gallo

YiqKjk7h.jpg

Hi6N7sYh.jpg

And a creamy avocado salsa that is one of my favorites there

5Oz3dBIh.jpg

Made some cassava flour tortillas (been liking these a lot)

f4Os220h.jpg

J2n6aWdh.jpg

Put the chicken on the gasser as they're usually grilled at the restaurant on gas grills

4Hn1eyTh.jpg

Served up with beans, salsa and the cassava tortillas

MWPoTc6h.jpg

Close up

altJMcOh.jpg

Nice and tender. This was really good but I need to play with the ingredients a little more to dial in that true Pollo Loco flavor. I'm going to try direct grilling also next time. Can't say that it wasn't good though but need to fiddle with it more. :heh:

afesdNEh.jpg

Looks and sounds awesome.

I have never heard of that chain...but am staying in Arizona for a while...looked it up and found one close...gonna have to give it a whirl.

I love chicken wings and their Sweet/Tapatio sound good.

I have found a few things make a surprising amount of difference for pollo asado.

1. You have to do whole birds, spatchcocked with the full ribs and keel bone removed. The times I've tried doing cut piece messes with the technique.
2. Mexican oregano vs Italian oregano makes a huge difference
3. They need to be cooked slowly over open flame. 80% cooked skin side up with low heat, then the last 20% over more direct heat flipping often.
4. After cooking pour some reserved marinade over the meat and then rest uncovered
5. You have to you charcoal, preferably mesquite if you can get it.

Your cooks are always a treat Sako. I tried similar recipe with pineapple and swore I would never do it again. Enzymes turned it into mush. Family was ready to evict me.

Looks and sounds awesome.

I have never heard of that chain...but am staying in Arizona for a while...looked it up and found one close...gonna have to give it a whirl.

I love chicken wings and their Sweet/Tapatio sound good.

Thanks! Give it a shot. Try and get a chicken meal to get the real taste.

• Thanks
Reactions: scp
I have found a few things make a surprising amount of difference for pollo asado.

1. You have to do whole birds, spatchcocked with the full ribs and keel bone removed. The times I've tried doing cut piece messes with the technique.
2. Mexican oregano vs Italian oregano makes a huge difference
3. They need to be cooked slowly over open flame. 80% cooked skin side up with low heat, then the last 20% over more direct heat flipping often.
4. After cooking pour some reserved marinade over the meat and then rest uncovered
5. You have to you charcoal, preferably mesquite if you can get it.

Thanks for the tips. Only reason I did on a gasser was to replicate El Pollo Loco. I hear you on whole birds and what I'm doing next time over open fire with mesquite. Plentiful and cheap around here as you know it and burns nice and hot for long periods.

Your cooks are always a treat Sako. I tried similar recipe with pineapple and swore I would never do it again. Enzymes turned it into mush. Family was ready to evict me.

Thanks Willy!

Believe me I turned meat into mush quite a few times until I learned that you can't marinate it overninght. I don't go over 4 hours max. Give it a shot again but cut down on marination time.

I'm a big fan of El Pollo Loco unfortunately my "Better Half" does not share my enthusiasm. I do believe you nailed it Sako.

Back