Weber SmokeFire First Cook

If you seriously left your home with no-one around to tend - then yes you are a very dumb person.

Any device that has a constant fire that is driven by electricity or gas source is something would never trust unattended. Even cooking all night long while I'm asleep. No chance.

Any device that has a constant fire that is driven by electricity or gas source is something would never trust unattended. Even cooking all night long while I'm asleep. No chance.

You wouldnt trust leaving your indoor oven on while you slept?

I sleep peacefully all the time with my WSM. I'm going to keep sticking with what works and is super easy to use.

Another dummy here... I leave my egg running while I’m away/sleeping. It’s far enough from my house that worst possible case it ruins my meat. 100’s of cooks, never a problem. Monitor with WiFi and cameras when I’m bored. I don’t see the problem as long as you have proper planning and cooker placement.

Man, by that standard... after 25 plus years of leaving pellet grills, kamados, WSM’s, kettles, sous vides, ovens and crockpots unmanned... I must be the dumbest person on earth! Is there a “Dumbest Brethren” contest? Ready to claim my prize [emoji12]

I got ya beat on the time by a considerable amount lol. I have had the power go off when using a digital crockpot so I don't use that 1 unless somebody is home, it wont turn its self back on. After almost 2 years my Pitboss hasn't missed a beat, if it does its a cheap repair more than likely , getting the bugs worked out on any new cooker is ugly ,glad mine is bug free

Here is a video from Baby Back Maniac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0NOKaJ_uQ

After all the hype and thousands of hours of testing they said. I am a bit surprised weber would come to the market this late in the game with a so-so pellet cooker. With lots of problems. Common problems of pellet cookers.
This should hit weber's reputation hard over time.
You shouldn't come to market with a deflated shiny balloon and then try to fix stuff after the fact. Do some real engineering and testing. No copy/paste of other pellet grills and try to make it seem like it is a new and better product than it is. The searing temp is the only thing really new/better that I see. This unit has. If, that even works.
I was hoping this would be something I might try. Never had a pellet grill. But I do not see that happening anymore. Pretty said, after all the hype.

With other brands I would definitely agree with you here. However, Weber sold this thing extensively due to their brand recognition and history of quality and durability. If Weber made a pellet grill exactly like Traeger or the others people would just buy it because it's Weber. They could have put a normal grease/drip tray in it (my biggest issue with the grill), ditched the flavorizers, made a normal hopper with a proper decline, etc. They didn't have to engineer anything new because their brand is so strong. Weber is in a very unique place in that regard.

At least that's how I see it. It was the biggest reason why I was considering buying one of these. Now after seeing it I think it is a very poor design. Not putting in a drip tray is mind blowing to me.

Five pages in a thread titled "Weber Smoke Fire first cook" and unless I missed it there was no report on how the food turned out, flavor profile etc? It does appear the OP was one of the rare ones with minimal problems but no feedback on the end results.

Five pages in a thread titled "Weber Smoke Fire first cook" and unless I missed it there was no report on how the food turned out, flavor profile etc? It does appear the OP was one of the rare ones with minimal problems but no feedback on the end results.

Seems to be a great grill but a dangerous smoker in stock config.

We had some friends over so never really got back to updating. Also just watching how this post unfolded.

The jalapenos and mock burnt ends were really good. It wasn't my favorite rack of ribs. The bark wasn't what I am used to off my offset or UDS. That is just something I need to figure out with a new type cooker.

I am hoping to do a brisket in the next few days.

Thanks,

With other brands I would definitely agree with you here. However, Weber sold this thing extensively due to their brand recognition and history of quality and durability. If Weber made a pellet grill exactly like Traeger or the others people would just buy it because it's Weber. They could have put a normal grease/drip tray in it (my biggest issue with the grill), ditched the flavorizers, made a normal hopper with a proper decline, etc. They didn't have to engineer anything new because their brand is so strong. Weber is in a very unique place in that regard.

At least that's how I see it. It was the biggest reason why I was considering buying one of these. Now after seeing it I think it is a very poor design. Not putting in a drip tray is mind blowing to me.

The “traditional” grease tray is the biggest hindrance to pellet grills being good at direct grilling, in my opinion. So while I’m not surprised Weber tried ditching that to improve direct heat grilling performance, I’m also not surprised to see there would be grease management and fire issues

The “traditional” grease tray is the biggest hindrance to pellet grills being good at direct grilling, in my opinion. So while I’m not surprised Weber tried ditching that to improve direct heat grilling performance, I’m also not surprised to see there would be grease management and fire issues

And it’s this exact thing that led me to sell my MAK 1 Star back in 2017 and buy a 2 Star when MAK introduced their Funnel Flame Zone setup. Intense semi-direct grilling across the entire cooking surface vs a small direct flame zone that most other pellet grills offer, assuming they offer a direct flame zone at all. The Funnel Flame Zone setup has 100% met my weeknight/weekend grilling needs. Does it grill as hot as charcoal or a pellet grill with intense 100% direct flame exposure? No. But it does a fantastic job of providing intense and well balanced heat side/side—front/back. I have never had a grease fire and have had one small flare-up one time when loading it down with ribeyes. Couldn’t be happier :)

Last edited:
We had some friends over so never really got back to updating. Also just watching how this post unfolded.

The jalapenos and mock burnt ends were really good. It wasn't my favorite rack of ribs. The bark wasn't what I am used to off my offset or UDS. That is just something I need to figure out with a new type cooker.

I am hoping to do a brisket in the next few days.

Thanks,

Thanks for the update. I'm a pretty crappy rib cook myself, but I've found that I tend to be less crappy on the kettle for some reason than the pellet grill.

Looking forward to seeing how the brisket comes out. Will be interested in hearing how you think it compares to your other cookers

Back