• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Defrosting 13# Whole NY Strip

Traveler32

Reaction score
Howdy gents (and others),
Where else would I go to mine the collective wisdom of BBQ prep?

Will be cooking a 13# whole NY strip Monday next and wondering about defrost time? I would also like to have a least 2 days for a dry brine (if that's still possible). Any help is greatly appreciated.

This beauty (Iowa Premium family farm raised Black Angus) was purchased in late August - along with its brother - at my local butcher who parted with the pair at $5.99#! Usually, these will run $11 plus, but an overstock led to my good fortune. Its companion became a goodly number of (up to 2" thick) steaks. Exceptional!

So. . .
Can I have this bad boy defrosted and ready for a 225 - 240 stay in the smoker before reverse searing? What say you brethren?

May your smoke always be wispy blue
and your bark crunchy

Hard to say for sure, depends on thickness of the meat, How frozen it is, and how cold your fridge is. I would say set it out, and if you need to hurry thaw you can always put it in the sink, cover with water, and it will be thawed in no time. Leave your water dripping, to speed up the process. If it doesn't fit in your sink, just put it in something, fill it with water, and change out the water about every hour.

Thanks Josh
I was hoping that it was early enough to let it defrost in the frig. Frig temp runs consistently 36 - 38, and I'm putting it in directly from a chest freezer.

A cold water bath (still in cryovac) is my fall back option. I was just thinking that a slow(er) defrost would keep it from bleeding out as much.

Oh, and its about 4" plus at its thickest.

I took mine out of the freezer last night and into the frig to thaw.
It is just shy of 15 lbs. I am confident that I will be able to get a 2-3 day dry brine in by Christmas Day.

A slow thaw is always best, but sometimes you do what you have to. Actually the speed in which meat is frozen, affects the moisture loss, more than the thaw. At only 4" thick, there is a good chance it will be thawed in the fridge in a few days.

Worst case scenario, if it is partially thawed, you can still rub it and smoke it. Especially with big hunks of beef at lower temps, you can start with a partially frozen product because lower temps promote edge to edge even cooking!

Back