Silverside Heel

mbt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Sorry for my absence, folk, but I had some issues to handle
Anyways, a couple of friends that are not able to do barbecue but are very interested in the matter, asked to me about "pepper stout beef"
well.. I think that the best way to understand a meat is to taste it, so...
on friday evening I've been at my favourite butcher shop, asking for the right beef cut. In Italy is called "reale" but I'm not sure if the right translation is "beef plate"
anyways, the butcher didn't had that cut. :shocked:
Ok, I explained what I'd like to do and what is supposed to be the final result, asking for a cut that has similar features
"Try this one" said the butcher, proposing the "campanello" that should be transalted as Silverside Heel

So I did....

The preparation of the meat was as per "standard" Pepper Stout beef, with a salt'n'pepper rub, smoked for a couple of hours (until 130 F) and then lied on onion and pepper sliced and a couple of bottles of dark beer with a Texas crutch

Result, in my opinion, was fantastic. Maybe better that using the classical cut
Strongly suggested :thumb:

78521b0ca5813cc0fe7d8377440a9f61.jpg
0d43217764c78568b8605841605eeb35.jpg
3e5c185933106c2b6d15ac0bb96090cc.jpg
0f92c0eb5c9256b517265e653fec883d.jpg

Looks very nice. Glad that it worked out for you. Never had it, now I want it.

• Thanks
Reactions: mbt
I have to say that worked very well
we were in 6, including 2 kids of less than 10 years. We ate 3.5 pounds of meat...
and we had some cheese and italian salami as starters, beer, bread and sweets

"Silverside is boned out from the top along with the topside and thick flank. It is usually prepared as a 2nd class roasting joint. It may also be thinly sliced for minute steak or beef olives, or split in two to produce a salmon-cut.

In South Africa, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, silverside is the cut of choice for making corned beef, so much so that the name "silverside" is often used to refer to corned beef rather than any other form of the cut.[3]

In most parts of the U.S., this cut is known as outside or bottom round, as traditionally, a hindquarter is laid on the cutting table with the outside down or to the bottom, as opposed to the inside being on top. In the U.S. it is also known as a rump roast,[4] which means something different in countries using the British beef cut scheme."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverside_(beef)
Rump Roast .?

Actually, there are a lot of problems to "translate" between italian cuts and USA cuts. Beside the name, the cut itself can be different and sometimes changes also between one region and the other.
I bought some pork ribs a couple of months ago in Slovenja and the cut was different compared the one I'm used to cook (they had a large part of belly)
anyways, the "campanello" that I translate as Silverside Heel, should be this one:

pesce-piccione-campanello.jpg

Interesting. From Smitty's chart, PSB is normally made from the fore shoulder, and what you cooked was from the rear lower leg. Either way, it looks pretty good!

Interesting. From Smitty's chart, PSB is normally made from the fore shoulder, and what you cooked was from the rear lower leg. Either way, it looks pretty good!

Yep.
in facts, I was a bit surprised when my butcher proposed to me this cut
He said that the consistency of the meat is quite similar to the one used for PSB

Back