My Birthday Dinner!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So its time to redeem myself on the WSM! 4th cook, still learning to cook on it! botched a batch of chicken wings last time.

Tonight on My birthday menu is baby back ribs, home made mac and cheese and grilled broccoli. Gonna throw on some chicken wings for the wife!

How long should I cook the baby backs before putting the chicken wings on with it? Sorry no pics. Haven't put the ribs on yet. Can't find the freakin camera! Will find it and have finished product pics to add to the post :D

Happy Birthday! :thumb:

I think smoked chicken wings on your WSM shouldn't take more than a couple hours. The ribs will mostly likely take 4-5 hours.

The thing I would worry about most is contamination of your ribs with raw chicken that is added late into the cook. Just be careful, or it might be an explosive post-birthday celebration.

If you wanna be safe(r), you can keep the ribs cooking on the top grate and put the chicken wings on the lower grate whenever you decide to put them on. That way the chicken drippings don't get on your ribs.

Happy Birthday! :thumb:

I think smoked chicken wings on your WSM shouldn't take more than a couple hours. The ribs will mostly likely take 4-5 hours.

The thing I would worry about most is contamination of your ribs with raw chicken that is added late into the cook. Just be careful, or it might be an explosive post-birthday celebration.

If you wanna be safe(r), you can keep the ribs cooking on the top grate and put the chicken wings on the lower grate whenever you decide to put them on. That way the chicken drippings don't get on your ribs.

I'm only running the top rack on the WSM. its an 18.5 but there's plenty of room. Also not using a water pan. I was just gonna slide the ribs over. and keep the chicken wings away from the ribs? I didn't plan on the two meats touching each other? would i still have a problem doing this? If so I'll probably start preparing to put the wings on the 2nd rack! I wouldn't wanna use the 2nd rack without a water pan tho!

Happy birthday brother. Cook the ribs for a couple hours. Then put the wings right beside them. Cook a couple more hours and you are good.

Happy birthday brother. Cook the ribs for a couple hours. Then put the wings right beside them. Cook a couple more hours and you are good.

Man I can't freaking find the camera. Got a question. Do you get "Bark" cooking with the WSM? Seems like my ribs just isn't creating it on the WSM. Running without a water pan. at 275 degrees according to the stock thermometer.

Thanks for the tips the other day. I let the WSM cook for about 30 minutes before putting the wood on. there's a huge difference

Found it! And by the time I wrote my last post and went out to take the picture. It looks like its finally starting to develop a little bark! That was interesting! Looked like it wasn't gonna develop any like it was cooked in the oven or something!
Lookin good tho!
IMG_0622_zpsrinbovzy.jpg

I wrapped the ribs when I put the chicken wings on. the ribs are pretty much falling apart! But That's how I like my ribs. I sauced them and put them back on for a few minutes to let the sauce caramelize a bit.
IMG_0623_zpsdttgpzjq.jpg

Happy bday. I love how there's not even an inch left on either end of those ribs.

Back