Mother's Day Turkey

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Doing a 21 pound turkey for Mother's day dinner. Got a good deal and the local market (.99 per). Put it in a brine overnight of salt, brn sugar, honey, maple, and fresh herbs. Pulled it this morning and got it washed off and air dryed. For a dressing under the skin, mixed a homemade pecan butter with salted butter, homemade maple syrup, and a touch of cayenne. For some reason I can only post one pic at a time, so will post updated pics as the day goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 60
Fresh herbs for the cavity

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 60
Trussed and ready to go, after putting olive oil and "Columbia" spanish seasoning on the skin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 60
And the cook begins! Using cowboy lump with pecan for smoke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 52
After two hours and twenty minutes locked in at 350. Used the Igrill and probed the breast and thigh. Done a lot quicker than I thought. I'm thinking that the built in thermometer is showing a less temp than at the grill surface. Going to invest in an ambient probe next. In the meantime, the bird gets to sleep for the next hour before carving. The color and aroma are nuts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 39
In the meantime, the better half came up with a recipe for artisan bread baked in the Lodge dutch oven. Love the smell of fresh bread!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 37
Mothers Day Turkey

That looks awesome, I am doing a 14 lb brisket on the grill, 9 hrs in and looking good,I injected a home made version of Kosmos and am using hickory,keep up the good work I can smell that Turkey from here.

Chardaddy, I've yet to try a brisket, but hope to attempt it this summer. Going to need to read up here to get it right. I'm sure yours will be delicious.

Back