My first smoked turkey

jamaicamon

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
12 LB Bird

Ncca9eA.jpg

Starting the brine by breaking the rules.....

nLWU2iL.jpg

Patio Daddio Brine...Thanks aawa!!!!

Ingredients
1 1/2 gal Ice water (lots of ice)
1/2 gal Hot tap water
2 cups Dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning (available in most grocery stores)
1 tsp Chinese five spice (Asian section of most grocery stores -- I like the Sun Luck brand)
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 oranges
Extra ice as needed
JCWgF2q.jpg

Bird in the the brine for the next 8 hours.

ADyzCvh.jpg

First time using fresh herbs:mrgreen: ..Thyme,Rosemary and sage

tBuXgH6.jpg

Cooked the bird for about 3 hours with lump and peachwood on the WSM at 325F.I put small pads of real butter under the skin in different spots. The bird was rubbed with salt,pepper,onion powder and the fresh herbs. No injection

HZrkCE4.jpg

hDOj8x0.jpg

6Zc5l8D.jpg

vE2kIgv.jpg

Final plate minus the cranberry sauce.

0NUaEN7.jpg

Turkey was superb. Peachwood and turkey go together perfectly! Brine is on point also.
Christmas turkey will be a breeze this year,more time with the little ones! Thanks for looking.

Congrats on that first. Looks perfect and I'm sure it won't be the last. :thumb:

You did a great job. Next one you will be teaching us all new tricks!

Awesome!!!!!!

I also have been a believer in Patio Daddio's Ultimate Turkey Brine.....

Good Job on your first Turkey!! Looks Great!

You did a fine job on that turkey! It looks well seasoned and cooked. It is really easy to smoke a good turkey, although we all ( me included ) stress over it way too much. I guess we worry about having everyone ready to sit down and eat, and the turkey ( us and the bird :biggrin1: ) not having done our job correctly.

I smoked a turkey for a group of church friends, and the bird was done 30 minutes before we sat down to eat. I was a nervous wreck thinking that it would not be done in time and/or that it would not be good. In the end, all was excellent, and it turned out to be the best turkey I have ever smoked. Learned all the little "tricks" on here from the many posters that freely share their secrets. Congratulations on a successful smoke and a good looking bird too!

Blessings,

Omar

Great job on that turkey Mon. Looks much better than the first one I smoked, and it tasted delicious, so I know yours was great.

That's a great looking bird. I too smoked my first this thanksgiving and it turned out fantastic. I'll never put one in a oven again. I really like the color of your bird. Did you tent it with foil towards the end of the cook? Mine started getting a little dark from the smoke so I tented it for the last hour.

Nice bird!!! I plan on smoking one for christmas and will "borrow" your brine :thumb:

Back