Cutting butt to speed up cooking

Recyellow

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am going to be doing a few festivals this year and was wondering what the pros and cons would be to cut Boston butt in half to speed up cooking time?

Pro - Faster cooking, more bark.
Con - More firm meat around the edges, and some folks don't like more bark. The two halves are not going to be the same types of meat (money muscle on one side for example), so if they are going to different tables or whatever folks will be getting varied cuts.

i dont see a drawback.. more bark.. To combat the firm edges i would use foil pans with quarter butts in them and beer or water or cola in the bottom. for the final couple hours before you pull the meat.. then back into the bath with a foil hat to hold the meat.. would be my idea..

Ive done some myself. I see you are in KY. Most HD around our area require you cook onsite for festivals so it helps to cut down on cook time.

I am going to be doing a few festivals this year and was wondering what the pros and cons would be to cut Boston butt in half to speed up cooking time?
I really like to keep the large cuts in tact if possible. Have you tried wrapping in butcher paper after a few hours of smoke and then ramping up the heat? With this method you're basically "Texas crutching" as you would with a brisket and wrapping the meat once you've gotten the color or bark that you want. The paper will give you a shorter cook, protect the meat from increased heat, hold in moisture and also let you keep some of your bark as apposed to foil which creates too much steam.:-D

I started cooking butts for some of my buddies. My Sam's carried whole bone in butts (2 to a pack) so I get what I need and have the dudes in the back cut each one in half with the saw. They go right through the bone obviously so each piece of the butt has bone. They cook a lot faster and like the others on here said you get way more bark....

I cut up a 10 pounder into 6 pieces and smoked it on my kettle in 3.5 hours or so. Turned out great.

Back