• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Separate Point Before or After Resting For Burnt Ends

Grange

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I cooked my first packer brisket overnight on my BGE and want to make burnt ends with the point. It was about 11.5 lbs before I trimmed some of the fat off. I put the brisket on the smoker at 8:50 PM yesterday and at 4:00 AM the internal temp reached 161. I wrapped it and just got up (6:30 AM) and the internal temp. was 205, which seems like kind of a fast rise. The smoker was about 235 when I went to back to bed and when I got up this morning it was down to 208. Most of the cook it was at 228 to 231. I hope the temp. didn't swing upwards and cooked it too fast.

Anyway I wasn't sure if I should separate the point and chop it up and put back in the smoker with extra rub and some BBQ sauce or rest the whole brisket and then separated for burnt ends? I decided to wrap the whole thing and make the burnt ends after resting.

I thought this brisket would take longer. Every time I make a pork butt it seems to take forever (6 lb. butt took 15 hours and an 8 lb. butt took 18+ hours) but this thing was done in 10 hours. I suppose I did wrap the brisket and don't wrap my pork butts so maybe that's one big difference. On the bright side it looks like I'll be having a nice lunch.

Last edited:
Wrapping will speed things up.
Really no need to rest before seperating the point and flat, no harm in doing it either.

I separate the point and rest the flat. While the flat naps i cube the point and return them in a pan with some aujus, rub, and a little sauce. Cover tight and put them in the cooker a little longer. Then when they are like butter, uncover, sauce them and set the sauce.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Congrats on your first packer, bet it's going to be great! I've separated the point both ways, like LMAJ said, either will work.

I always CAREFULLY seperate the point from the flat right after it comes off the smoker for burnt ends. If you foiled the brisket at the 165* mark, this allows the steam to escape before rewrapping the flat so it doesn't over cook in the cooler while it's resting. I then let the point rest 20 minutes or so to keep those juices, and then I cube it, hit it with a little extra rub and toss it back on uncovered. My goal is to get a little extra bark. I let them go for an hour or so and then toss the cubes in sauce and put it on covered for about another hour, uncover and let the sauce set for 20 minutes or so before pulling them off. By this time, your flat is rested and ready to slice.

I separate them before foiling & resting flat. I re-rub point (after further trimming), then place it whole back into smoker for 2 hrs. Then cube, sauce & into foil pan for 90 min or so until nicely carmelized. My sauce BTW is thinned slightly with beef broth.

Next time (and yes there will be a next time :grin:) I will separate the point before I wrap. It turns out I didn't have to opportunity to make burnt ends. After I wrapped the whole packer to rest I talked to some family and ended up telling them I was smoked a brisket. Well that turned into a family lunch so I made some homemade macaroni and cheese (recipe from Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ) and homemade strawberry ice cream for desert.

By the time we finished eating and I gave a little away to to family I didn't have a whole lot of the point left over. So I vaccuum sealed it and froze for left overs when I have a craving for BBQ.

In case anyone was wondering I used Three Little Pigs Memphis BBQ Rub and injected with Butcher's Brisket Injection (I used water and left it a little thick so it wouldn't run out so quickly).

This is what it looked like. The knife was my grandfather's knife when He was a chef many years ago. It is my mother's favorite knife.
2012-04-29_1320481.jpg

How you like the Memphis rub on the Brisket? Thats my favorite on chicken, eggs, salads, just about anything!

This was the first time I used it on a brisket and I really liked it. I've tried it on ribs before and they turned out well.

Back