pork shoulder bone in picnic roast

Hiloboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i'm going to try one tonight its about 9 lb about how long to cook this thing anyone know .. i've did butts all most same size .can i get some help. or i'm just going to wing it.. i'm going to do some ribs at the same time..

If you have a thermometer, smoke it until the internal temp hits 165-170. Then spray it real good with applejuice and wrap it in foil. Either put it back in the smoker or put it in the oven and cook till it hits about 190. I don't usuallly put mine in the cooler like most of the folx. I just turn off the heat in the oven and let it sit for an hour or two.

YMMV.

I agree, cook it as you would a butt - but I also cross-cut the skin so it absorbs more smoke and seasoning.

Hilo, make sure your temp reading is in a solid hunk of meat, of course. Close-to-the-bone readings can be misleading.

Good luck!

Timewise - assuming you stay around 'que temps - probably 11 hours or so. Like these others I depend on internal temp for finishing.

It'll pull a bit different - the muscles run different directions. You might think it's "tough" but often its just different from doing just he butt portion.

IMHO, the shoulder is closer to a ham in texture. Not bad. Just a little different. Outside of brisket or a really good burger, I'd take pork over beef any day.

i know its kind of late to answer.. but estimate it at 75-90 minutes per lb.

Its never too late for good Q info. There's always next time.

well to let you know it turned out great.. tasted a lot like our kalua pig that we make in the imu.. here in hawaii after we pull the pork we add hawaiian sea salt . what can i do differant when i make pulled pork so it dosen't taste like kalua pig.. any ideas

Hiloboy said:
well to let you know it turned out great.. tasted a lot like our kalua pig that we make in the imu.. here in hawaii after we pull the pork we add hawaiian sea salt . what can i do differant when i make pulled pork so it dosen't taste like kalua pig.. any ideas

Don't put Hawaiian sea salt on it? :shock:

What else did you "do to it" after it came off the grill?

Add a Carolina style finishing sauce to the pulled pork:

1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls salt
1 tsp pepper flakes
additional hot sauce of pepper to taste

Did you use local wood as you cooked. Try adding some hickory, pecan, or oak to the fire to boost the smoke taste a bit.

Back