Scooooreee!!

chobint

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Craigslist finally comes thru... I just picked up a new in box Traeger Lil Tex for $300. A couple won it in a contest and didn't want it. I have the invoice and everything proving that it came from a sweepstakes.

I decided to wait till tomorrow to assemble it because I couldn't get any pellets for it tonight. Assembly + first cook pics to come!!!

Nice score. Never have tried a pellet grill before.

Thanks guys!! She's been seasoning at 515 over the last hour (as per traeger's recommendation).

Can they change my status back to "Got Wood", b/c I am hot with bbq fever right now.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for her to cool down on smoke mode so that I can put the babybacks on. Tryin to keep it simple on the maiden voyage, despite my enthusiasm.

I seen that today on Cl, I'm kickin my butt right now. Thats a heck of a deal, congrats.

Sooo dark out. Makes for crappy pics, but anyhoo... here is my baby at the 2hr checkup.

And they say you can't get smoke out of a pellet pooper....

Great score best I can get out of Macon Craigs list is pool supplies.

Grrrrr... the system decided to delete my post when I tried to submit it... :mad:

Anyhooo. I cooked some babybacks for the first cook. Standard rub and simple brown sugar glaze. The second cook was two briskets, one prepared with my typical rub and the other with Priya garam masala (spicy curry powder). The masala one turned out awesome! I will have to try it again on another cut.

Both meats ended up a little overcooked by 5-10 degrees, so it was a bit soft but still moist. Not surprisingly the steady convection heat cooks a fair bit faster than the kettle. The smoke was also a bit light, so I'll have to leave it on smoke for a bit longer next time. Overall I am extremely happy that I only had to go outside twice to check temps and flip mode from smoke to medium.

First cook
IMG_0723_compressed.jpg

IMG_0727_compressed.jpg

Second cook
IMG_0729_compressed.jpg

Congrats on your score!!

Your status is an automatic feature. It goes by your post count.

Get over to Pelletheads.com for allot of good info. Did it come with the digital controller or the three position? Traegers are supposed to give some nice smoke! Congrats on the find! Try to find pellets other than Traeger's, theirs are about the worst unless you want a high temp burn. As most pellets, they are 80% oak/adler and 20% of the flavor wood, but they are loosely compressed and burn quick. Welcome to the dark side!

We have a lil' Tex and Jr. and love them both and use them in competition. A couple bits of info that we've gathered while using them:
- Cover the heat shield with heavy duty aluminum foil will allow for easy clean up, we change it each cook so that we don't get any off flavors
- Cut a plastic soda bottle in half and place in the grease bucket will also allow for easy clean up and disposal of grease
- Meats that you typically foil on longer cooks like butts and briskets, don't worry about foiling them b/c they will not get too much smoke
- I've always used Traeger pellets but am looking for something that gives off a bit more smoke flavor, someone gave me a bag of BBQers Delight which I am going to try
- Keep an eye on the hopper sometimes you get a bit of a funnel effect, where the pellets stick to the sides and don't feed into the auger and it goes out...b/c of the blower it sounds like its still truckin' along but there will be no heat
- Finally Enjoy It! At times I've used it like a crock pot, fire up a butt when I leave for work in the AM, check on it at lunch and when I get home after work it's done. You gotta love that!

Back