All one piece

For catching ash, I bought an 18" pizza tray, notched the edge for the three PBC grill grate tabs and attached three strands of small chain to the edge, the three meeting on a keyring. I just lift the coal basket out and then lift the keyring, bringing all the ash out in an easy to empty tray. Total cost = less than 5$. Others have attached their pizza tray to the coal basket itself.

I just drilled a small hole in each foot of the coal basket, and bolted the pizza tray right to. There are a couple of extra nuts on the bolt as spacers, to ensure good air flow.

Did the temperature stay OK?

Small charcoal basket for a shorter cook ...about 6 hrs.

That looks like a great idea. Shame to use a full basket for 2 hr chicken. I thought of just putting less coals in there, but I am new at real BBQ, and was not sure how it would affect the cooker.

I have a temp controller on the PBC now, so maybe I will try just a 1/2 full basket.

That looks like a great idea. Shame to use a full basket for 2 hr chicken. I thought of just putting less coals in there, but I am new at real BBQ, and was not sure how it would affect the cooker.

I have a temp controller on the PBC now, so maybe I will try just a 1/2 full basket.

It works and won't effect heat as long as you light the same amount of coals as you usually do. I did something similar where I blocked half the coal basket with fire brick so I could cut the coal amount in half for a chicken cook. Temps were the same as usual. Still had some coals left over.....

Temp Control

I must be doing something wrong because I cannot seem to get consistent results using my PBC :shocked: This thing is so simple and yet somehow it doesn't quite run "as advertised" for me... I've noticed that the cook times are significantly greater than what most are reporting no matter what I cook - chicken, pork, etc.

This weekend I decided to smoke a 9lbs Boston Butt. I followed the instructions to the "t" and it came out absolutely perfect, but it took 6.5 hours - 4.5 hours to reach 160* and another 2.5 hours to reach 200* (wrapped in foil). No biggie, it was well worth the wait :hungry:

I then decided to smoke 4 racks of SLC ribs. I decided to cut the racks in half because they were on the long side, and last time I did babybacks the end ribs (close to the charcoal basket) were a bit on the dry side. They were supposed to take about 3.5 hours (cook 3 hours, sauce and cook another 30 minutes) but in reality after 4.5 hours they still weren't as tender as they should have. I should have left them on there for another 30 minutes, but it was getting late and everybody was starving.

While I was smoking the ribs I noticed that the charcoal closer the vent was glowing pretty good, while the stuff on the back was barely going. As a result the ribs closer to the front were pulling away from the bone a lot more and were a lot more tender than the ones in the rear.

I haven't done chicken in a while, but I did a bunch of times in the past and I could never get close to the 2 hour mark, which according to Noah "works like clockwork". It usually 3, sometimes 4 hours for me.

I should mention that I am at 220ft elevation and I have my vent open 1/4 to 1/3 way and that I have been using exclusively Kingsford blue charcoal. I light the smoker per the instructions - fill the basket to the top (level), remove about 30 briquettes, light them in a chimney, wait 10-15 minutes, dump them in the basket and start hanging the meat.
I leave the lid closed until the meat is supposed to be close to done and I use a high quality digital thermometer so that I can monitor the temperature of the meat throughout the cook.

I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong, or all of this is considered normal. I am not bashing the PBC - I love the thing and I just want to learn how to get the most of it and perhaps get some a little bit more consisting results. As it stands today it is very hard to plan when to start smoking X if we want to have dinner at Y. I remember the first time I decided to do chicken we started a bit late and we figured it would be ready by 10pm the latest, but ended up eating at Midnight instead. Chicken was very tasty though :biggrin1:

Being new at this I added a temperature controller to get things consistent after my first couple of cooks. It is kinda messing with the simplicity of the PBC, but does give me more consistent times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 242
I am a new PBC owner! This thread has had a wealth of information and inspiring pictures. So thanks to all of you contributing.

I have cooked with the PBC 3 times. I never BBQ'd anything before. I am getting better each time. The first cook I had the 'sea level' long cook time problem. My chicken and ribs finished at the same time! Almost 4 hours. I followed the instructions on the video exactly for using a chimney to start (15 minutes). After that I did some looking around and found this post here at BBQ Brethren that helped me:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3031830&postcount=23

On the second cook, I let the chimney go for 12 minutes and dumped the coals in the PBC basket and then let it go for another 8 minutes with the top off. Chicken and ribs were done about the prescribed times from the PBC videos. Third cook went the same way.

Now I just need to take and post some pictures.

I have been doing 15 in the chimney, and 15 in the basket before the food goes on. Coals have a nice ash cover at that point.

Chicken looks great! How'd the ribs turn out?

Came out pretty good Andrew. Good bend and peel back:
7ED48ABA-BBE4-4D3B-8D0C-15A0F5BF9BFF_zpsn9jxyeny.jpg

6D37DD67-8ABB-4A91-936B-A70F2383D7A8_zpshcmr7zfw.jpg

And sliced. Nice smoke from a few cherry chunks:
FE2423D1-6C82-4806-BDD0-5D1A0A339651_zpsizcvhn52.jpg

I saw your cook thread agensop.....very nice looking bird legs. I'm digging the leg holder too! :thumb::thumb:

I too have a PBC coming in the mail Friday. Planning to hang some ribs and corn on the cob Saturday. I'll post some pictures if I think of it.

I'm coming from the stick burning world and while that was a lot of fun, and the color you get alone is almost worth the trouble, I'm just not in the right life stage to be babysitting a fire all day long with two little ones at home. Need something I can get the smoke rolling and walk away.

I used a WSM for a few years and got bored with that, so tried stick burning. Now instead of going back to a WSM figured I would do something a little different. I have always been intrigued by the PBC and have done a lot of reading, so I'm excited I finally get to try it!

Cheers!

welcome to the club! its a great cooker. being in my wheelchair is a bit of a pain as a grill (grate level makes it difficult at time sgetting stuff inn an out) but its a frigging AWESOME smoker. it soooooooo easy.

Ordered the PBC, scheduled delivery is Friday!!! Can't wait to hang some meat!!!

What is the difference between a UDS and PBC?

There isn't much difference honestly. Typically UDS's are 55 gallon barrels and the PBC is a 30 gallon. But it's plenty big to do large cooks if you need that space. The PBC was heavily tested and configured so it eliminates a lot of guessing. Once you get the intake set your cooks will be very consistent. There are many many different ways to configure a UDS. Some simple some not. If you have the skills, tools, time, and access to parts you MAY be able to build a UDS cheaper but if you want ALL new parts it is going to be hard....The PBC will cook faster than you are use to (yes at the same temp as other cookers) and that is explained in a couple articles saying it's due to the 30 gallon barrel size and hanging the meat. Some here will debate that the barrel size makes a difference and I'm not smart enough on the science of it all I just know meat cooks faster in my PBC. You'll notice if you research that a large majority of people who own a PBC think they are outstanding cookers and that cooking on them is very easy. You will also find most people leave them as is and don't find modifying them necessary. If you haven't already, go to YouTube or the Pit Barrel Cooker website and view their videos. They are very good and provide excellent instructions.
Hopefully I answered your question. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Welcome JBurn! You will enjoy the PBC I'm positive. It sounds like you've researched it and I bet your first cook will be amazing. Let us know and post some pics!

Attention PBC meat hangers. If you are into the Brethren Throw Downs there's one for us to show off the PBC's abilities starting Friday. It's the Hanging or Spinning throw down. Hopefully some of you will enter, I for one am hoping to see Sako (ssv3) put an entry in as he's made some very delicious looking food on his PBC. But then again many of you have. Let's get some good entries going in this TD. Here's the link for information and rules. Your entries must be cooked between 24 July - 3 Aug (by noon). Good luck!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214575

Back