This May Be Heresy, But Sometimes It's Good To Be Bad...

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Let's talk Jiffy. Yes. I said Jiffy. Sometimes, you just need a touch of sweet. Even if it comes in a box. From, gasp, Michigan.

So you find yourself with some leftover pretty spicy and very savory chili.

chili_zpsugk7yuwe.jpg

Here's the cook thread for that...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218738

What to do? Make a freaking casserole. What to use for the topping...
Jiffy_zpse3kxxacz.jpg

Just add Ray Bans and anything is cool...

Slice up three large carrots and saute those in butter with a dash of cinnamon and brown sugar...

pie_zpsbidnlks8.jpg

Assemble your hot dish...

pie1_zpsxkbboa4l.jpg

pie2_zpsxzvo68kh.jpg

Yes, canned...

pie3_zps8905yvyc.jpg

pie4_zpsnqfkmbdz.jpg

Mix the two boxes of Jiffy. But, use an extra egg, and evaporated milk with only a couple TBS water instead of regular milk, and a squeeze of raw unfiltered local honey.

Drizzle some more honey on top.

pie5_zps4gvyymev.jpg

Bake til done (There was a lot of cold thermal mass so it takes longer than the directions, plus I was cooking at 375, not 400)...

pie6_zps3hi6fcdo.jpg

I wanted to crunch up the top a little so I covered it with a small cookie sheet and cranked it up to 400 for a little while longer. Cooled, sliced and served.

served_zpsdecrpmi7.jpg

pie1_zpshhy6qqeh.jpg

The sweet corn cake topping complimented the dish very well, as intended. Got no complaints. I'll be doing this again.

No problems here.:clap2:

As a matter of fact I have been known to use that very same corn muffin mix in my no beans chili or my homemade soup as a thickener. Just a touch makes all the difference.

Just as God has a plan for all of His children, so is there a purpose for all ingredients in the astute chef's kitchen...even Jiffy mix!!

Seriously, DG, that looks amazing! Betcha it'd taste great around the campfire with a cold beer in the other hand! :grin:

We buy that mix by the case to eat with fish and use with chili.

It really is a great box mix. I haven't used it in years, but it really does have a place in the pantry. I think I'm going to make some a little thicker and use it for corn dogs too.

When I make it from scratch, everyone just slathers it with honey or syrup anyways. They eat the Jiffy mix plain.

The dish looks great and I'll admit to using Jiffy in a pinch, but it still doesn't get you slack cut for using it. :mrgreen:

:laugh:

Looking good!

We really like Trader Joe's Corn Bread mix. You should try some if you can get it.

Jiffy is a classic!!!

They built the little town its made in around it!!

(gasp Michigan??) how dare you??? its pure Americana LOL

and Pure Michigan too :clap2:

Back