30 Turkeys to Smoke on Thanksgiving

wjwheeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I usually deep fry 25 - 30 12 -14 lb. turkeys and smoke 6 each Thanksgiving as gifts. This year I want to smoke all of them them. I have a Southern Q competition water smoker that will hold the 30 turkeys in one cook. I try to have them ready by 10am on Thankgsgiving morning. I have read vaired opinions about cooking at 300 - 350. I've usually smoked them at 275 with peach and/or apple wood.
I don't have anywhere to brine that many turkeys, so I usually inject them with creolebutter and rub them with cajun shake. They are moist and flavorful but don't look as good as the deep fried turkeys.
Does anyone have any advice to make them look good or improve my methods? Thank you in advance for your input.

I can guarantee that you have WAY too much turkey experience for me to try to help, but I want some SERIOUS pr0n action of this cook!!!

Nice looking Pit!

2011-07-23_11.19.23_800x600.jpg

I've not done anywhere near the number you have, 3 total smoked. I got pretty good crisp skin that is golden brown, by doing two heavy smokes around 275 for four hours or so (depends on meat temp) then crank the heat for 45ish minutes. I do however brine over night.

I want to see your cook!

Can you explain what you mean by you don't like the way they look when you smoke them vs frying them?

I usually deep fry 25 - 30 12 -14 lb. turkeys and smoke 6 each Thanksgiving as gifts. This year I want to smoke all of them them. I have a Southern Q competition water smoker that will hold the 30 turkeys in one cook. I try to have them ready by 10am on Thankgsgiving morning. I have read vaired opinions about cooking at 300 - 350. I've usually smoked them at 275 with peach and/or apple wood.
I don't have anywhere to brine that many turkeys, so I usually inject them with creolebutter and rub them with cajun shake. They are moist and flavorful but don't look as good as the deep fried turkeys.
Does anyone have any advice to make them look good or improve my methods? Thank you in advance for your input.

Jeez, and i am cursing the NFL schedulers for giving me a Jets home night game on thanksgiving and making me have to do 6-7 20lb birds for the tailgate. Lol.

I do about the same cook on Christmas eve.
My turkeys don't "shine" when smoked like they do when they are deep fried.
Bbq Bubba - I hope mine look as good as yours!
Thanks for your input. I'll post and let y'all know how it goes.

I smoked 20 last year and all I did was rub cooking oil on them. They turned out great. People already asking me to do it again. The key is not to over cook them. I smoke at 225 -300, depending how cold it is.

I'm using the Briner http://www.thebriner.com/3_Steps_to_Success.html and can easily fit two 12-15 lb. Turkeys. A lot less than you obviously need, but my butcher friend uses Rubbermaid Brute food grade barrels with lids for brining Turkeys for the Holdaze and Corned Beef for St. Paddy's Day-he has a walk in freezer so if you needed quantity you could get a smaller barrel for the brine bucket(s) and put them inside a larger garbage can surrounded by ice.

Back