use a heat diffuser/shield between the meat and the fire ?

i do not see why that would not work fine. i use a large colander with no problems.:biggrin:

Dudz..........................;}-

I am using a pizza stone I got at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $10.Fits on the lower rack I installed(just in case) and works like a charm. Acts as a heat sink and helps even heat.
Just sayin'

Sure you can. I didn't need one til the weather turned cold, but when I had to add more air to get my usual temps, the bottom of the meat was getting a little more crispy then desired. I added a rack just above the fire basket, and use a disposable pan with or without liquid.
Fuel use is up because of the cold weather and added air, but not a big increase.

My diffuser is the cover to a 30 gallon drum. Drilled full of various sized holes. Sits right on top of the charcoal basket. Works great. Evens out temps, fat still gets to the fire, just not so much. More pros than cons. The one con is more fuel will be used. How much? Well, never did a log comparing the two techniques but I would say about 25% more fuel for a given cook with the diffuser. Just did a 9 hour cook yesterday with a half full charcoal basket, 13" wide x 11" tall, and there was still charcoal covering the bottom. Drum ran perfectly the whole time at right around 220* Here it is.

P1130261.jpg

At home depot they also have the 13" round grill skillet. Just cut the rivets off and add wire for hangers and you are good too go. Evened out temps very well.

I like the idea of the diffuser with a few holes in it, but I'd use something at least as big in diameter as your charcoal ring. I've used an empty brinkman charcoal pan in mine with good results....super ribs cooked low and slow, bone side down and never turned. I have cooked three racks of meat with pretty good results, but that was just leg quarters, and I'm positive that my spacing isn't quite right to get the top rack up to the same temp as my bottom rack. I'd really like it to be as even as with my little wsm. Anyway, my charcoal ring is 18", so the 18" Brinkman charcoal pan seems to work fine. Maybe I'll take a drill to it, though.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller

Perforated pizza pan from target. Works perfect!

Attachments

• DSCF0386.jpg
    DSCF0386.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 574
I think I will use the round grill skillet from home depot....should i just place it on top of the basket or add bolts to hang it above...is there any difference?

A diffuser works for many but if your charring food you have either a thermo problem of your grate is to close to your fire. :biggrin:

Don't know. Mine sits right on top of the charcoal basket. No holes to drill. Lazy mod. Put yours on bolts and let us know how it works for ya.

A diffuser works for many but if your charring food you have either a thermo problem of your grate is to close to your fire. :biggrin:

I use the diffuser to cut down on the, to me , over the top smokey/greasy taste. Works, too.

Thanks for the info in this thread. I expect that I will use a diffuser in the UDS that I'm building and was planning on using a pizza stone that I have. If that doesn't work out I will try a perforated pizza pan.

I will go with perforated to allow more even heat/smoke and to allow some drippings to hit the fire.

I considered one of those. Where do you find one that big?

I think I will use the round grill skillet from home depot....should i just place it on top of the basket or add bolts to hang it above...is there any difference?

Dudz I took use solid wire, bailing wire i think it was and attached it too the round grill pan in , did the same with another piece crossing over the first. I then bent another piece into an s shape to supend the plate below my grates.

The pan sat approx 5-6" above the charcoal basket. Like I said worked well,however now I use a water pan as the diffuser. Basically makes it a WSM and we really like it more than anything else.

Some will tell you that it cant be done but again they are wrong, you can get even temps in a UDS.

I will see if I can upload a pic of it.
good luck !!

Back