View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post

Also, the Hunsaker has a proprietary vortex type lid over the charcoal basket to stop direct dripping on coals and to theoretically create a better drafting.
I know that this is picking nits but the vortex plate is not to create better drafting, but rather to create a circular airflow and convection. It you look into a drum with the vortex when there is visible smoke you will see it swirling.

BTW, quite a few folks who own other drums are buying the vortex basket to use in their drums.

Sid. I went through the same decision three years ago and chose Hunsake and have 4 of them for competition use. Any of the drums listed are good cookers, and you can produce good food an only of them, but I like the bottom air intake, vortex basket, multiple position grate system and wheels on the Hunsaker. Yes, the bottom intake will drip a little grease, but if you keep the bottom of the drum clean (I clean mine after each cook) the drip page is minimal. With my 4 drums I run one for brisket, on for butts, one for ribs and one for chicken and the only one that has any grease in the bottom at the end of the cook is the pork drum, and it’s it does drip it is usually less than a table spoon. If I am cooking on a surface that I care about I put the drums on oil change pans to make clean up easier and protect the surface.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->