White Ash

G

Graytwhyte

Does anyone know anything about this kind of wood in relation to smoking? I am pretty sure it's a hardwood that is somehow related to the Oak. I just cut down a tree in the back yard and have a pretty good amout left after friends have taken it for firewood. Thanks for the help, TIM.

Had one die in the front yard.Cut it down and used it for the fireplace out back. Smelled nice. Didn't use any for cooking.

it can be used.. very light flavor, low BTU, burns real real REAL fast.. almost like paper.

Check under bark for Ash Borer beatle larvae. These bugs have wrecked havoc in Michigan and Indiana and all the ash trees with in a 1/2 mile radius of an infestation are being cut down and ground up. They don't want people burning the wood from these trees because the larvae just get up and leave before they get torched.

Actually the more I thought about this, the worse the idea seemed. Seeing as we cut it down because it was rotting from the inside out, I doubt it would make good smoker wood. I didn't see any beetle larvae, but don't think I'll be using it anyway. Thanks for all the help and info, TIM.

I use Ash all the time in my smoker. I don't know if it is "white" ash or another type. It burns real well, not quite as fast as paper;) But not as long as say Oak or Hickory. I usually mix mine with some Oak or Apple to get the flavor I like. Don't use any that has started to rot!!! It will produce thick black smoke and leave an awful smell and taste. I found that out the hard way.

Midnight. My guess is you've got black ash. That is actualy a sought after firewood for home heating around here. The white ash I had in my yard had bark like a birch tree, and a year after being cut, it did burn like paper.

Ash is used for guitar bodies and ball bats! Both smoke pretty good....just ask my x-wife!:evil:

NEVER EVER use:

Rotten or rotting wood or wood with fungus or shrooms growing on it.

and, as rule of thumb, onces its over 2 years old, its just BTU'S, flavor will have been drastically reduced.

Back