View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #154
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm1947 View Post
I use white oak and hickory for smoking wood mostly. That clean burn I get with the vents fully open and the lump for a heat source, pretty much alleviates the white smoke. I had problems at first keeping my temps down, but now that i've learned how much lump to light each time I add charcoal, my results have improved. Just trying to get what I believe tastes more like bbq cooked on a stick burner without having a stick burner. I do mostly pulled pork for my family and church friends.
how much burn time do you get with half a chimney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
i am very surprised that so many are burning separate fires of lump just to add to their charcoal cookers. not that it is wrong but i just did not realize people did this. i learn new stuff here all the time.
you know that many of the old school bbq joints had a separate burn barrel and shoveled the wood embers under the food .

now as far as burning lump, its a revelation for me. I had used it in my uds before because it didnt keep temp as well as briquettes so I switched back to briquettes, but after seeing how clean it is from the get go, and how dirty briquettes are until white hot, I dont know how I will ever be able to go back to briquettes again. the thought of all that junk slowly burning onto my food in a uds is scary.

how do harry soo and others do so well with briquettes. mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.I.T.W.A.G? View Post
Personally I love that stick burning takes all of the extra attention. To me it makes BBQ an active thing rather than just set it and forget it. I like managing a fire AND the flavor that comes with it. I see where you're coming from though it's not easy, and if you cant tell the flavor difference I could see where it would be tough to keep struggling.
I also see where you are coming from. I think it can be said that , for some, managing that fire, is part of the hobby for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
BUILD A UDS!!!!

(well chit, someone had ta say it)
I knew someone was going to say that . a UDS is not all its cracked up to be. TWO UDSs? now were cooking with fire

for the record, I have TWO uds's and I really should build a third one for hotdogs and fish
and fourth one to replace my weber kettle

UDS LIFE
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->