Smitty’s Pellet Pooper Ponderings

You can always just use a normal thermo, and not the built in. About the only time, I use a probe is when I am doing a reverse sear, and want to pull it at an exact temp. Otherwise I stick with the thermapen. It doesn't take long, to figure out the timing on different cuts of meat, because the temps are so consistent. Just my Opinion.

You can always just use a normal thermo, and not the built in. About the only time, I use a probe is when I am doing a reverse sear, and want to pull it at an exact temp. Otherwise I stick with the thermapen. It doesn't take long, to figure out the timing on different cuts of meat, because the temps are so consistent. Just my Opinion.
Yep. I've got more therms and gadgets than i should. Any of which could replace the unit's probe. Just making sure we have the facts straight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t know how the probe works on a Blazin’. But on a Mak, which I think IMHO has the best controller now, you can program the cook in phases. Each phase can be a specific temp for a set time, or one phase can be a specific temp until the probe hits the meat IT you program into it. The controller will move from one phase to another based on however you program it. And you can save a number of programs; so far I’ve saved one for butts and one for briskets.

For example, I use my Mak when I don’t want to pull an all-nighter on a long cook. So I’ll program the first phase for 3 or 4 hours at a really low temp, like 180, because the pellets smoke more at low temp’s. Then my second phase kicks the temp up to 225 or 250 until the probe hits an IT of, say 203. Then my third phase will drop the temp to 200 and keep chugging along until I turn it off. It moves thru these phases automatically all night.

So if you dont want to use a probe, you just don’t hook it up and don’t include a probe phase in the program. Alternatively, if you do want to use a probe but want the smoker to then shift to a different temp based on other meat you’re cooking, just program it to do that like I described above. If you program it to shut down at some point, then it will, but if you program it to keep going it will run until you manually turn it off or it burns thru the pellets.

As I said, I don’t know if the Blazin works like this, but the Mak certainly does. Very, very convenient, and I’ve suffered no lack of smoke and no need for extra pellet tubes or other smoke enhancers.

How about Smoke Daddy's own rig, the Pellet Pro? I see guys using their burners and controller, but never see anyone using their complete rig.

What’d they say.....?
Paul,

That's the way the software is programmed.* I am not able to change it. (Response to it shutting down to 160)

If you don't use the meat probe, the grill will maintain you set
temperature. If you don't use the meat probe, just make sure you
don't have it plugged in the the control board.

Probably a big enough deal to move me towards something else. Assassin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Me too. Any reviews on the controller Assassin uses?

To new, you're not going to find a whole lot of info, the controller looks like the same controller that's on the Blaz 'N, which I would guess is a Roanoke PID and I think Pitts and Spitts uses the same controller as well.

Then it doesn't exist. :heh:

Can’t find any details either. No good YouTube reviews either. Might have to go old school and call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I emailed last week for controller details - no response yet - unless it went to spam file......

I emailed last week for controller details - no response yet - unless it went to spam file......
Jeff at Assassin is pretty old school and is not too quick to answer emails, best to give him a call, he's good dude and easy to talk to.

Back