View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #175
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Crew View Post
Be it as may, but you just can't beat a stick burner. Out of most of my fellow bbq buddies I am the only sticker left. Funny how they love my q...
I wonder if they would still love your Q if you used a charcoal burner. my guess would be yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have said "snobbery". My point was that stick burners are not inherently better than charcoal burners. It always comes down to the skill of the cook.
I think I understood where you were coming from. the thread has been positive so far but one could get the impression that the general consensus is that wood is a better flavor than charcoal. I would agree that wood is probably better than charcoal briquettes, but maybe not better than roaring embers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Dont back pedal too fast.

i think a # of us do have the opinion that for our tastes all things being equal wood is better.

One plus for charcoal is being able to focus more on things instead of fire management, something that can help in comp settings where true wood bbq flavor may not be the most important.

These are of couse opinions. I feel that stick burners with indirect heat are better for certain types/styles of bbq. Same goes for pits with direct fire heat. The pit is imperative to the style. Im not making texas brisket the same on a weber or carolina pork shoulder on an egg. Many say its the cook not the cooker but the cooker has an effect on the bbq.......imho
of the five esses that make up smoked food (salty, spicy, savory, sweet, smoky) I think you are saying that the smoky flavor of wood burners is better than charcoal burners. many agree with you and its a valid opinion.

here is my thinking- the holy grail of smoked food is to be barely able to taste the smoke. wood burners win this battle vs briquettes( which make up 95% of the charcoal sold in the US)
but it also seems that, while it is a lot of work, pure burning wood embers have a better flavor than using wood.

Ive always found it interesting that a lot of the global smoked food in other parts of the world use charcoal and not wood. could it be that wood smoked food is an acquired taste?
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote